Hello, new member from Kent, UK

H22A

Hello All!

Thought I would stop by the Welcome forum to say Hi and introduce myself.

My name is Paul and I am 43, live in Whitstable, Kent.

My back garden has a severely restricted view of the sky (East... nope trees, North... nope house, South... hmm not bad, West... LP central), but I am still having fun!!!

There's a couple of OK darkish sky spots about 30 mins drive away.

I'd love to live somewhere properly dark and have an obsy in the back garden, but that's years and years away. 

I first got interested in Astronomy many years ago after receiving the Observer Book of Astronomy by Sir Patrick Moore when I left junior school. I still have it now.

However, I never really pursued Astronomy as a hobby past the age of 16 (I do remember seeing Halley's comet through some ancient binoculars in the mid 80s)

In the last couple of years however, SGL and that Brian Cox feller reminded me of that latent interest.

So about 18 months ago I bought the excellent "Making Every Photon Count" by Steve Richards.

After reading cover to cover a couple of times, I decided to answer the question "What would you like for Xmas this year ?", posed by my other half Sarah, with "A telescope, please!"

This was despite her being 8 months pregnant but I knew that if we didn't spend the money on a 'scope there and then, it'd never happen.

So last December I become the proud owner of a second hand Evostar 120 and EQ5Pro Goto mount, oh and father to a beautiful baby girl Maia (yes, as in the Pleiades!)

Obviously, my daughter has been and will always be my main priority, however I now find myself with a bit of time again, so the telescope is getting an airing  :grin:

Since the initial purchase, I have added a BST 12mm eyepiece, a rather nice Tele Vue 2x barlow, a Celestron NexImage CCD webcam, a Canon 1000d and most recently a small but very heavy Tal-1 reflector.

Next on the list is the adaptors to attach my Canon to the scope.

I would love to delve into imaging, but I know that my scope and mount are not well suited. I'll still have a load of fun giving it a try though, that is if I can bring my Synscan controller back to life from a firmware failure :eek: .(see my 1st post in the Mounts forum)

Clear Skies!

Paul

Hiya Paul and welcome To SGL :laugh:

First of all congratulation on the birth of your daughter, it always a very proud time.

Not forgetting your new scope which is also a another new arrival for you :grin:

Shaun

Welcome to SGL Paul - Glad that you are able to find the time to get out there again!!

There's a few of us imagers on here, so if there's any questions, ask and I'm sure that someone will know the answer.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Archived