NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from france

aries

Hi everyone! still having problems logging on to the forum having registered a new account, Having to log on every time i change the page, very off-putting! anyone else had the same?

My name is Nick, and I live in the Limousin region of france, out in the sticks of a small farming community, the lp is almost zero! Lovely!

Asked santa for a scope this year, after having the urge to see all the wonders of our skies since i was a wee lad and lo and behold, a starter scope arrived under the tree!

The scope is a Bresser Galaxia 114mm, with a focal length of 900mm, reflector. on an EQ mount, Stainless steel Tripod, 3 eyepieces, 27mm, 9mm, and 4mm. A 3x Barlow and blue filter for the moon (?) and being a complete newbie to this hobby, would be very grateful for any feed back on what i should expect to see with this scope, and your opinion on the equipment.

I've seen orions nebulae, and a few other smallish objects, but when i change the eyepieces over, having difficulty achieving a sharp focus, is this to be expected? or is it due to atmospherics?

Thanks for taking the time to read and laugh at this thread! Happy Gazing!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Nick :rolleyes:

What browser are you using, and are the cookies set correctly (sounds like not)?

As for the scope, you'll get some good views through it - but pop over to the Beginners section as there are several versions of the same question you have asked :lol:

Enjoy those dark skies!!!

Hi Daz,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, will play with the scope for a while, and see what she can do, and ask a few questions on the recommended eyepieces for it to replace the Kelner's that came with it, and whether the plossl's will change the viewing quality at all. Also, played with the security suite on the 'pooter, and it seems to be working now!

Regards..........

Nick. :rolleyes:

Hi Daz,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, will play with the scope for a while, and see what she can do, and ask a few questions on the recommended eyepieces for it to replace the Kelner's that came with it, and whether the plossl's will change the viewing quality at all. Also, played with the security suite on the 'pooter, and it seems to be working now!

Regards..........

Very welcome :lol:

The plossls will certainly make a difference over the kellners. Good news on the 'pooter :D

Welcome to SGL Nick. It sounds to me you have found a lovely place to live, and especially if you have dark unpolluted skies.

You can arrange a star party if you like :rolleyes: I am sure a few of us could get over there.

Keep asking questions, we are all here to help each other.

Ron. :lol:

Welcome to SGL Nick. It sounds to me you have found a lovely place to live, and especially if you have dark unpolluted skies.

You can arrange a star party if you like :rolleyes: I am sure a few of us could get over there.

Ron. :lol:

Hi ron,

The star party sounds fun, the garden is certainly big enough, 1500 sq M! and the only Lp i have is a tiny excuse for a street lamp in the road about 300m from me and at night the sky is amazing! well, as long as the cloud gods are fair! the summer nights are lovely and warm, with temps around

18-22 deg C at around midnight, tee shirt and shorts and the scope? can't wait! 8)

Nick...........

Ron. :D

Hi ron,

The star party sounds fun, the garden is certainly big enough, 1500 sq M! and the only Lp i have is a tiny excuse for a street lamp in the road about 300m from me and at night the sky is amazing! well, as long as the cloud gods are fair! the summer nights are lovely and warm, with temps around

18-22 deg C at around midnight, tee shirt and shorts and the scope? can't wait! 8)

Nick...........

A mouth watering thought. Nothing wrong with summer astronomy, especially when there is a barbecue and a few beers too.

Of course wine would great as well, seeing as it is France. :lol:

Hi ron,

The star party sounds fun, the garden is certainly big enough, 1500 sq M! and the only Lp i have is a tiny excuse for a street lamp in the road about 300m from me and at night the sky is amazing!

Packing my bags as I type... :rolleyes:

Welcome to SGL Nick!

James

a big welcome to SGL from me strange I thought I had replied to you earlier but checking I did not how odd was certain I did in my mind

I must have had my first senior moment oooooooooeeeeeeeeer think Ill have a lie down :shock: :rolleyes:

enjoy the forum mate its still the best one in the UK.

After being a member for just a few hours, may i say that the warmth of welcome is somewhat overwhelming, Please bear with me whilst i find my feet in astronomy for real, as all my observing before was done with the naked eye

and have some questions i feel only you guy's can answer...........

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Nick, Welcome to SGL.

Having spent a couple of weeks somewhere near Le Dorat a few years ago I can remember fantastic dark skies. I remember walking back from a bar late at night and it was just the milky way lighting the way, brightly.

Hope your clear nights continue!

AG

Archived