Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A message for small scope owners.............

NGC 1502

Hi all.  Last Wednesday night ( 23rd ) was an observing evening at my club (Castle Point AS), and we were in complete shock, because it was clear  :laugh:

Club members set up in the car park next to our venue, I had my 10" Dob, nearby was a 12" Dob, an 8" SCT, and a very nice homebuilt 8" Dob using a Hinds mirror, lots of others too.

Right next to me was a new attendee, with his Celestron Nexstar 4SE http://www.firstlightoptics.com/se-series/celestron-nexstar-4se.html

I introduced myself, and learned his first name.  Didn't want to 'crowd' him, but said if he needed help, just ask, and let him know he was more than welcome to look through the other scopes, and maybe we could look through his.  He seemed happy with that, and did the set up with his scope.  He came over to look though my Dob, we looked at M31, Double cluster etc, the usual favourites.  

He went back to his scope, and soon had M31 in the eyepiece, I went over to take a look, I mentioned that M32 was also in the same field of view, he was chuffed to get two for the price of one.  

But as we chatted, I could tell he was ill at ease, and I soon found out why, he was very apologetic about his small scope. He wondered if it was large enough to see much (even though he'd just seen M31/32 with it).  I did my best to put him at ease, and mentioned that I often use a much smaller scope than his, a 70mm refractor, and there was lots to see with that, even under light polluted skies.  With his go-to, it would take a very long time indeed to exhaust the possibilities of his Celestron.

I really do hope I helped this person, and maybe encourage others who may read this.

There really is a great deal to see with a modest scope, it will take years of use before you run out of objects to find.

Best regards, Ed.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ed,

That was a very kind thing to do, I do feel for the poor guy, but at least you reassured him.

It reminds me of the men in black film where Tommy Lee Jones pulled out that huge gun and then gave Will Smith the tiny little gun :grin:  as it happened it packed a huge punch.

Ed,

That was a very kind thing to do, I do feel for the poor guy, but at least you reassured him.

It reminds me of the men in black film where Tommy Lee Jones pulled out that huge gun and then gave Will Smith the tiny little gun :grin:  as it happened it packed a huge punch.

LOL :D

noisy-cricket.jpg

Nice one Ed... there's nothing at all wrong with a small scope... Even if it doesn't have ED optics, it can still be very useful. I have seen M1 (the crab nebula not the motorway ;)) in my ST80 clone. Ok, it really wasn't much to look at, and it was really faint, but it was indeed there. My favourite observing instrument is a pair of 56mm refractors mounted side by side (8x56 binoculars :D).

Makes a change for someone to be worrying about the diameter of their scope.  Usual thing to worry about in Essex car parks after dark is the diameter of the exhaust pipes on the boy racers' motors :)

Excellent post.

One of the biggest things I have learnt in this hobby is it doesn't matter how much kit you have or what it may be made off, it's what you get from it and can do with it at the thick end that counts..

Blimey, I've been looking in the thin end all these years :p

Totally agree with all these comments. There is such a trend towards aperture fever which I can totally understand, but equally there is an awful lot to be said for getting out as often as you can with nice, convenient kit, and getting the absolute maximum out of it.

Of course I want a big dob at some point, but I know it would not get used at the moment so content myself with my refractors, 2.5 and 4", and see plenty with them. A small scope under dark skies will show loads!!

Stu

You handled that very well, Ed. When I take my 120mm achro to a viewing, I no longer feel intimidated by the guys with the big guns and the APOs. Since I've been looking up since about 1968, I have a fair amount of experience under my belt and can get set-up very quickly. While those guys wrestle with their mounts and equipment, I'm actually observing and calling out the names of cool vistas for the big guns. Little scopes need not be ashamed!

Nice one Ed.

I used a 4.5" newt for twelve years, and enjoyed every time I observed with it. There's plenty to see with small apertures for sure.

Mine wasn't even a good one (Tasco) and the eyepieces were shocking, but I enjoyed it.

I'm sure your observing buddies scope is way better :) great you encouraged him.

There's nothing wrong with a small telescope provided they have good optics. I personally bagged a big number of the Messier objects using my previous 80ED.

Agreed. I would much rather have a small scope with good optics, than a large one with poor mirrors/lenses.

I could not agree more and good for you Ed for being encouraging. I was of the generation that started in the hobby with a 60mm refractor and managed to get a lot of thrills from that. My first decade of more serious observing was with scopes no larger than 4" in aperture.

In truth I doubt that most of us (me included !) get anywhere near the full potential of our gear before giving in to the urge to upgrade :rolleyes2:  

Archived