Hello SGL!

ozzyfitz

hello everyone ,I have always wanted to buy a scope since I was a child but never got around to it .Finally bought a cheapy Celestron Astromaster 70az ,( which Im sure is incredibly pathetic compared to the awesome set ups out there ! )Anyway Im pretty lucky we live in Western Australia ,which I know from experience has excellent night skies .At the moment the missus, 2 young kids and I are getting a real kick out of viewing the beautiful moon from our backyard with a 10mm eyepiece that came with the scope .Will probably need to upgrade in the future but might experiment with a 5mm or barlow to try to glimpse a planet if that's possible.Either way we are loving it and I have already been enlightened by a few forums on here .Cheers .

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ozzy, and welcome to the friendliest astro forum around. It sounds like you're hooked already especially with those dark skies. Be aware that aperture fever and scope envy will kick in very soon. Unfortunately there is no cure, just keep in touch here for counselling and advice.

Good luck

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Welcome to SGL - This is a great place to be to learn all things astro, so you've come to the right place!! Glad that you are enjoying your scope so much. As an imager, I've hardly looked through one!!

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Welcome Ozzy!

No such thing as a pathetic first telescope. Anything, even the less expensive ones, are going to do a far sight more for your view than your naked eye alone. Love your Astromaster as much for the fire it ignites as you do for the views it shows... First telescopes are a special thing for those who bother to look through them!

Oh, and it'll show you Saturn and Jupiter, no problems whatsoever! Don't restrict yourself just to those though. My nephew has a similar scope and I was massively impressed with the view I got of the Orion Nebula when showing him and my brother... It gave the view from my 6" reflecter at the time a run for its money. I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied... For now! Don't you worry, if astronomy isn't just a passing phase for you, you'll get bitten by the aperture bug, that's a given! Haha

Clear skies mate.

Aaron

Hi Ozzyfitz welcome to the lounge

It was in your wonderful country I first viewed the Milky Way

properly for the first time, it was my inspiration for getting into

this great hobby, I haven't looked back form that day on, only

up.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's 

Archived