Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Virtual reality - you wont need to take pictures, you can pop the headset on and explore anything you ever wanted to see.

There's nothing more satisfying than doing something for yourself.

Create your own virtual reality universe from your 1sec ultra camera pictures. Now that would be grand ;)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Ye of little faith! We are doing things today, professional astronomers were doing 10 years ago!

You know more about Pluto today than Pluto experts did 6 months ago!

Never say never Mark ;)

Rant over :p

I never seid never I seid we would not see what you were suggesting. It would be nice though

anyone going down to winscar tonight? I asked the weather man what it was going to be like and he said that it should be clear with a few clouds now and again.......so its pretty much anyones guess lol

looking at the metoffice forecast, it looks like its right on the edge of the cloud, so you might have some clear skies, mostly anyway!

I cant go tonight though

is there anywhere remotely near wakefield that is half decent? i know light pollution isn't great anyone got any ides? last time i went to pontefract racecourse at night it was ok but since i heard what can only be described as machine gun fire I'm not overly keen on it lol

is there anywhere remotely near wakefield that is half decent? i know light pollution isn't great anyone got any ides? last time i went to pontefract racecourse at night it was ok but since i heard what can only be described as machine gun fire I'm not overly keen on it l

Are you up by the m62 i seem to remember you saying Adam?

Forf me, you either head to the east/south east of wakefield, overtons sky isnt too bad to the south as theres only little villages in that direction, or maybe head to the east of wakefield, maybe wentworth way, thats only a suggestion as ive never been that way before , but im guessing the southern sky might be ok, its a bit of a distance to doncaster.

Im sure there will be people who have other suggestions. I go to wooley edge sometimes if I just want to stay local, as it has a good horizan, but theres still light pollution there compare with dunford bridge. but its better than been in wakefield.

I would've popped out tonight Adam but have had a rough couple of days and combined with being up early at 5 I'm simple too tired to make the trip. 

XC and metcheck both have the weather the same @ 19% cloud to 9pm and then 30% to midnight. Where ever you decide to go make sure you take the winter togs as it's gonna be cool to say the least.

Thats ok buddy thats my issue as well i have to be at work for 5:30am every morning which is why if i do decide to go to winscar i need to almost guarentee a good nights viewing to justify feeling rubbish all day tomorrow!

yeah to be fair i did see that the moon was out and it seems to be quite bright so imagine quite a lot is going to be drowned out i might just go in the garden if weather permits. I wouldn't mind but the nexstar mount is a nightmare as the back button also works as a select button AND a undo button so as it is I'm struggling to just do the simplest of things such as lining up....

Would a jump start battery from say Halfords etc be ok to power 2 x dew straps via a controller, seems 17ah is a bit pricey on Celestron & skywatcher power tanks.

Hi Eric

If you have a local B and M store they have a 22ah jump start pack for £29.99 last time I was in

Neil

Hi Eric

I'd go for a deep cycle/leisure battery which would power everything whilst you're out and about. They are made for the purpose.

Looking on the ever popular auction site you can pick up something like a numax battery (75Ah) for around £60 and then stick it in a plastic tool box like quite a few do.

Much better than any jump starter pack as the batteries take some proper abuse being able to be run down and then recharged (thus deep cycle) from a lower point than normal lead acid batteries.

I run a 50Ah banner deep cycle/leisure battery but that is just for dew it doesn't run the mount.

Hi Eric

I'd go for a deep cycle/leisure battery which would power everything whilst you're out and about. They are made for the purpose.

Looking on the ever popular auction site you can pick up something like a numax battery (75Ah) for around £60 and then stick it in a plastic tool box like quite a few do.

Much better than any jump starter pack as the batteries take some proper abuse being able to be run down and then recharged (thus deep cycle) from a lower point than normal lead acid batteries.

I run a 50Ah banner deep cycle/leisure battery but that is just for dew it doesn't run the mount.

Thanks Damian, how does the leisure battery connect to the dew controller.

Eric

Thanks Damian, how does the leisure battery connect to the dew controller.

Eric

You would need a pair of battery posts or crocodile clips and wire it all to the battery.

If you are not confident to do it I can give you a hand to sort out a power tank. There are quite a few home builds on here if you want to go that route.

Archived