Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive my sarcasm Matt as I don't own any AP equipment

If you wanted to do it for a mount you'd either use the standard cable and change the cigarette plug or do what most of the EQ6 owners do and change the input socket on the mount to a screw on plug and socket.

Mine are for the dob.

I added an extra power socket on my AZ mount with  a rean 2 pin xlr screw in from maplins,  but also left the original power socket connected, so having the choice of using either cable in case one fails

Cheers Matt. I've had all the dimmers just dangling about for about 3 years now and finally decided to do a full build whilst I've got a spare hour.

Here's a useful link for anyone wishing to pursue the home brew route

http://www.blackwaterskies.co.uk/2013/05/a-cheap-multi-channel-dew-heater.html?m=1

I have fused the outputs internally and also included a spare LED dimmer board inside as these can fail being cheap.

The XLR socket on the EQ6 is for the money the best mod you can do on the mount. Just have to be sure you are confident to do it

cheers for that link Damian, ive booked marked it for reference

On the subject of plugs, sockets and connectors it has just been brought to my attention by the ever helpful Derek (physopto) that another alternative is the speekON brand sold at a few outlets such as Farnell/CPC.

If I was into the dark arts these would be probably the ones I'd use as they are also water proof.

As you may well know I have no wish to purchase these lol!

not quite true, only the STX range from neutrik are IP54

Three decades ago, I remember struggling to pick up a hint of nebulosity with my scope and film camera...

Nowadays, a short 200mm telephoto and a digital camera will get you this in 30mins...you just have to love technology!post-2759-0-45911300-1453212594_thumb.jp

It was APT you can download it for free but some of the features are missing but it's only about 9€ to get it

Mark do you connect the tablet to the camera with a cable or use wifi

Neil

Hi mark

So you plug it in the camera remote socket and the tablet usb socket

Neil

It goes in to a micro usb on the side of the camera then In to the tablet

But I use an extension cable but if you use an extension it must be an active extension to boost the signal to the laptop

Lovely stuff again G. Technology sure progresses things.

Most would probably be satisfied if their images were as good as yours 10 years ago!

Thanks D.

Technology has certainly progressed amateur astronomy! Sadly it has also given us light pollution and cloudy nights.

Thanks Mark. The mind boggles at what the future will provide!

Ultra-High ISO, low noise, less than 1sec exposure, no need for guide scopes or tracking mounts! Can you imagine hand held DSO, galaxy or nebula shots at high magnification, high resolution and with pin point stars! That's the future ;)

Ultra-High ISO, low noise, less than 1sec exposure, no need for guide scopes or tracking mounts! Can you imagine hand held DSO, galaxy or nebula shots at high magnification, high resolution and with pin point stars! That's the future ;)

You wishe lol I'm sure things will progress but I'm not sure we will ever see it go that far unfortunately

You wishe lol I'm sure things will progress but I'm not sure we will ever see it go that far unfortunately

Oh Ye of little faith! We are doing things today, professional astronomers were doing 10 years ago!

You know more about Pluto today than Pluto experts did 6 months ago!

Never say never Mark ;)

Rant over :p

Archived