Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get up for work at 6-40 so I might get up a bit early just to view it

RDF realigned keep forgetting to turn the dam thing off so another battery changed

Neil

I think we have all done it Neil and that's even with the hand control tell you to turn it off lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think there will be much point guys. The clouds aren't going to be kind at all.

I've been wondering without looking back through the forum just how many clear nights we've had this autumn? I bet I could count it on one hand!

It's changed from when I posted it Damian. It had cloud at only 7% it's now at 25% on clear outside. I will be awake anyway so it's worth a look out of the window to see if it's clear

Been a bit quiet lately guys, I've officially gone down the road to financial ruin and my life as we know it is going to be over soon. Wedding is booked, this missus is happy and I'm a broke man [emoji6]

As my dad used to say taking a wife is the longest HP lone you will ever take out. So we're all broke Sam so don't worry.

Glad to here you've booked a day and I'm sure you will be happy

As my dad used to say taking a wife is the longest HP lone you will ever take out. So we're all broke Sam so don't worry.

Glad to here you've booked a day and I'm sure you will be happy

Who says we all are!

Been a bit quiet lately guys, I've officially gone down the road to financial ruin and my life as we know it is going to be over soon. Wedding is booked, this missus is happy and I'm a broke man [emoji6]

Great news on the wedding booking Sam, congrats, not so good on the cash front! we told you to upgrade, might be too late now ;)

Had a lovely couple of hours in the back yard last night with Terry, as it stopped really clear our way.

Just had the little 80mm frac out and began with M42 as Terry has never viewed it through a scope. Looked at Betelgeuse whilst we were in the area. Terry asked what a couple of bright stars were above Orion, and I had to consult my chart to nane them as Capella and Mirfak. I pointed out Aldebaran, and turned the scope on the Hyades.

It was as a Terry was viewing that I saw a beautiful Taurid meteor streak across the sky straight out of Tarus towards Gemini. Poor Terry missed it, however it reminded us to keep an eye out for them. Whilst we were looking towards Gemini, I pointed out Castor and Pollux.

Whilst I had a nice wide angle EP in place I turned the scope onto one of my favourites, M45 The Pleiades. Beautiful, and even Terry couldn't believe the sheer quantity of stars to see. He even commented that he could finally understand why I love them so much.

Whilst Terry was meteor spotting. I turned the little frac onto M31 The Andromeda Galaxy. Terry couldn't believe the difference between what you could see through a small scope and what you image. I was trying to explain about gathering photons etc, but Terry had been on the beer all afternoon at his mum and dad's so I gave up after a few minutes and told him to just enjoy looking at it lol.

I caught sight of another Taurid heading past Cassiopiea, which again poor Terry missed, so I decided to get the camera and tripod out for half an hour to see if I could catch any on a long exposure image. Just kept leaving the camera on 2 minute exposures, whilst me and Terry sat on the damp decking with a glass of red and a beer looking for Taurids. We both caught one, again heading towards Gemini, but it wasn't one of the brightest.

None were caught on any of my images, but it was nice to show Terry a little bit of the sky. Called it a night at around 12.15am, as it was starting to get a little overcast and we were conscious that my alarm was due to go off at 6am.

Shame it was cloudy for the ISS meeting the planets this morning, but I'm glad I made the most of last night :)

Think Mark has done most of the talking tonight Damian! :)

It's been nice to get a word in Paul.

I did get up at 6 to see wall to wall cloud witch was a bit of a bummer seems the clouds are here all the time this season

I managed to get out with the binos on Friday evening for a while, was mainly showing Kevin the kind of things that you can see through them, as long as you know where to look, It also allowed me to see the sky from the new house.

It is quite a bit darker than I was expecting, I still have a fairly good view of the southern sky and the trees do not cover polaris like I thought they did! So hopefully AP will still be a goer when I manage to find the charger for my powerpack...

Matt.

Pleased to hear you got out with the binos Matt - you'll soon learn how much I love my binos - one of my favourite bits of kit :)

Just going through my images from last night, and as I suspected I did not capture any Taurids.

Mosty a load of rubbish, however I do quite like this 10 minute exposure showing the star trails, which includes M45 The Pleiades, Aldebaran and The Hyades to the right hand side of the image.

I'm sure you'll be able to spot them!

Love how it accentuates all the colours, and also shows just how many stars are up there :)

Right, time for a brew and a catch-up with new Sky at Night and the two Horizon programmes before work.

post-39306-0-71444600-1447060537_thumb.j

I very rarely use them, but they are useful if you cant be bothered, or its not worth it to put the scope out.

I love star trial images, only ever taken one. I might have a go on the next clear night now that I can actually see Polaris with little LP so can get the full circle effect.

Now where did I put the camera remote control...

Matt.

post-21702-0-68394400-1447060910_thumb.j

I managed to get out with the binos on Friday evening for a while, was mainly showing Kevin the kind of things that you can see through them, as long as you know where to look, It also allowed me to see the sky from the new house.

It is quite a bit darker than I was expecting, I still have a fairly good view of the southern sky and the trees do not cover polaris like I thought they did! So hopefully AP will still be a goer when I manage to find the charger for my powerpack...

Matt.

I'm after some binos for Christmas as I havnt got any at the moment. The sky isn't the worse round here Matt, I think all the led street lights might help too. I wish Wakefield would get some installed as there's so much light pollution from over there

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

I'm after some binos for Christmas as I havnt got any at the moment. The sky isn't the worse round here Matt, I think all the led street lights might help too. I wish Wakefield would get some installed as there's so much light pollution from over there

Directional LEDs are great for reducing the light pollution indeed Chris, however they are a nightmare for AP, as you can't filter them out without seriously compromising your images, orange sodium isn't great but with the correct filter you can get rid of it without losing much by way of image quality. All depends on what you are going to do! :)

Directional LEDs are great for reducing the light pollution indeed Chris, however they are a nightmare for AP, as you can't filter them out without seriously compromising your images, orange sodium isn't great but with the correct filter you can get rid of it without losing much by way of image quality. All depends on what you are going to do! :)

Yea, I know, but won't the overall lower level of light pollution be better? Or not

Archived