SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just about packed and ready for Kelling Heath.

Actually wish I was going tomorrow to be honest, but I've got that pesky thing called work to go to :(

In tidy piles ready to pack into the car on Friday lunch time and I'll be away!

Take care driving Damian aand Gain as you make your way in opposite directions up and down the country tomorrow.

See you Friday evening Gain! :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Vicky what's the orange surfboard for

Neil

Some interesting reading over lunch on the Antikythera Mechanism. A device built by Hipparchus in 60 B.C.E - well before it was thought the knowledge was known on how to build a complex mechanism - it seems to predict the movement of the planets or possibly a type of clock, nobodys really sure. Very interesting though.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/antikythera-mechanism.htm

Matt.

It's a good read that Matt, I've always have an interest in the Antikythera mechanism. Interesting to note that they may well have had no interest in using technology more otherwise we may well be a space faring species by now...

Hope all those star parties are going well! Seems quiet on here at the min. ;)

Had a few clear hours over the last couple of nights up here in Galloway but was too windy to utilise the scope so it has remained unused.

I got up and managed to pack the tent away dry this morning with the intention of leaving later in the day after the pie and peas that were arranged.

I shall then make my way home as the weather has turned inclement with a deluge forecast for the rest of sat and sun night.

Hope the skies have have Vicky the opportunity to peruse the heavens.

Damian

Sorry to hear you've not had much clear sky Damian. Looking on f/b Vicky managed a good few hours last night. Have a safe journey home and see you soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of clear skies Mark just too much wind to do anything with it.

milkyway looked fantastic last night and Andromeda was easily naked eye along with the beehive which really did glow.

Great to catch up with the guys up there but it will be good to get back up in Feb to really put the scope through its paces.

Just about to have some tea before disembarking.

Damian

Both Vicky and I are safely home from a very enjoyable mini Kelling Starparty...

Managed 4.5 hours of observing on Thursday night and 8.5 hours to on Friday night.

Saturday was a washout so spent it in the pub with astro buddies chatting about parallel universes and ant killers!

My 24in dob with the new drive system worked flawlessly and Vicky got a bag full of new Messiers and new objects.

Excellent all round and wished there was more of the gang around to share the experience!

Guess what? Ursula's back!

Wow! What a weekend. Had an amazing 48 hours at Kelling Heath mini star party.

Think Gain has just about summed it all up - had 8 1/2 hours of solid viewing on Friday evening from 5.30pm to 2.00am. For those not on FB, I have put my viewing list below. Bagged 13 new Messiers to bring my total to 29/110. Uranus looked absolutely stunning in the WO110 - I showed some of my fellow astronomers Uranus and I received several comments on the sharpness and colour the scope gives. It is a beautiful scope and a pleasure the view through. I managed to split a few very tight multiple star systems (as detailed in my report) despite the gusty wind.

I also had the privilege of having several views through Gains 24" dob - what a scope! Could see the spiral arms and pinkish hue of M33, and I could even see the nebula within M33. Gain teased me by telling he I was viewing M31 The Andromeda Galacy at one point, and I could clearly see the bright centre and elliptical shape - imagine my surprise when he told me it was M110! It's truly incredible.

Unfortunately, we had rain and cloud all day and night on Saturday, so we had a drive out in the afternoon and Gain showed me around the area - even managed a sneaky coffee and slice of home made lemon meringue pie in a lovely little cafe come book/antique shop. What else could we do on Saturday night, but to spend a few hours in the pub with good company and good beer. It was nice to meet people from other clubs and societies. However, the conversation was often far from Astro related lol.

Got the Kelling Heath bug and have already booked my pitch for the September 2016 starparty - can't wait!

Anyway, here's my very scribbled viewing report from Friday night:

post-39306-0-07955900-1447623105.jpg

Glad you both had a good time and that you have both arrived home safely.

Great that the kit worked without problems and it Sounds like it's had a good work out.

Was a little tired for Thursday session and even though the 24 was assembled, it was not collimated and decided to leave the covers on...Instaed I did a little Atrotrac-ing with a 200mm lens and some visual on Keith's 18inch dob.

Friday was a full on visual night on the 24. The wind was quite blustery at times but the 24 was still offering pretty good views. Vicky was the whole time on her 110 and I managed to share a few views on it with her.

Can't wait to get back out!

Guess what? Ursula's back!

Wow! What a weekend. Had an amazing 48 hours at Kelling Heath mini star party.

Think Gain has just about summed it all up - had 8 1/2 hours of solid viewing on Friday evening from 5.30pm to 2.00am. For those not on FB, I have put my viewing list below. Bagged 13 new Messiers to bring my total to 29/110. Uranus looked absolutely stunning in the WO110 - I showed some of my fellow astronomers Uranus and I received several comments on the sharpness and colour the scope gives. It is a beautiful scope and a pleasure the view through. I managed to split a few very tight multiple star systems (as detailed in my report) despite the gusty wind.

I also had the privilege of having several views through Gains 24" dob - what a scope! Could see the spiral arms and pinkish hue of M33, and I could even see the nebula within M33. Gain teased me by telling he I was viewing M31 The Andromeda Galacy at one point, and I could clearly see the bright centre and elliptical shape - imagine my surprise when he told me it was M110! It's truly incredible.

Unfortunately, we had rain and cloud all day and night on Saturday, so we had a drive out in the afternoon and Gain showed me around the area - even managed a sneaky coffee and slice of home made lemon meringue pie in a lovely little cafe come book/antique shop.

What else could we do on Saturday night, but to spend a few hours in the pub with good company and good beer. It was nice to meet people from other clubs and societies. However, the conversation was often far from Astro related lol.

Got the Kelling Heath bug and have already booked my pitch for the September 2016 starparty - can't wait!

Anyway, here's my very scribbled viewing report from Friday night:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Such a fab time Vicky...your 110 is truly a special one..i've used countless Apos and can vouch for the exceptional quality. You have a good one!

It was good using both scopes throughout the night!

Archived