Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say its making it worse as such, its just a 'sharper' light, rather than the older fuzzier ones - if that makes sense to anyone apart from me - so it will stand out more, especially from the ISS which is high above the earth.

Matt.

This is what my friend down in Cambridgeshire has to say on the subject as they've rolled it out down there

"suffering from extra light pollution now LED street lighting is being rolled out. Living in a rural location, until last year I saw two small orange glows on the eastern and western horizons situated over the two nearest towns. They've obviously had a streetlight replacement programme over the summer as now we've got dark nights again the whole of the eastern and western horizons are now bathed in a bright white glow. It seems to be an increasing problem -see below. I thought these things were supposed to be cutting down light pollution"

Lamp design might have something to do with it too. Because we got led lights in our street a few years ago when they replaced the road surface and and re layed all the pavements. The lights all point down and I can see stars just above the lamps, you could never do that before.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

It's been discussed quite a bit of late the LED lighting issue.

My street had them replaced last year and for me they are a lot better but I am visual so can sympathise with those that want to image.

If they are directional they are better than the old sodium.

What hasn't been widely advertised is the fact that the LEDs will dim over time as the driver (LEDs need DC so AC has to be rectified) degrades. I don't think councils have looked into it much?

Let's hope the obsession with people wanting night turning into day abates a bit and people don't realise over time that the light level (lux) is dimming!

Damian

I agree, lets see what happens over time, best bet is for councils to turn the lights off just before midnight and turn them back on before dawn for an hour as it says in the article. But that wont happen as people don't want it!

I agree, lets see what happens over time, best bet is for councils to turn the lights off just before midnight and turn them back on before dawn for an hour as it says in the article. But that wont happen as people don't want it!

That would be ideal, just switch them off, but maybe just leave the ones on between my house and the pub :)

I have a light just in front of my house it goes off around 12 and comes on at 4:30 but it's the really tall ones on the main tooth at cause the problem. The tower over the houses an light the garden up but they don't turn them off due to it being the A650 to Wakefield

Well done Paul I know how hard it is to capture a meteor I tried earlier in the year and just got the tip as I posted the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the car failed its MOT this morning. A nice £240 to get it 'road worthy' again (ignoring that it needs new brakes on the advisory) so the dob will have to wait until December now, and then maybe even January depending on Christmas expenditure.

All good fun eh.

Matt.

That's rubbish isn't it. Mines due end of this month and as seen as I think I might change it next year, and all the other Mot tests its past with flying colours, sods law tells me this will be the one that it fails on something lol

Mine is an 08 plate, had it 3 years this month, and to be fair, everything other MOT has passed with no problems, so I guess something had to wear out sooner or later.

Matt.

Yep, mines a 52 player Mondeo with 86k on the clock, it better pass or lll kick it lol

Archived