Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

where is that astrotyke

Rabbit Ings country park. Its at Royston,Barnsley on the site of the old pit. Address is Rabbit Ings Country Park, Lund Hill Lane, Royston, Barnsley, South Yorkshire S71 4BB.

There is a carpark there, I just dont know if they lock the barrier at night to it, ill have to go and have a scout round one night

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent views Chris indeed... Shame if the light pollution is a problem

Yea, its ok in winter, but when the skies are lighter at this time of year it seems worse i think. but its not like been in the middle of Wakefield, i think its a better sky than that.

Ill have to go up there on a clear night and see what the views are like

Rabbit Ings country park. Its at Royston,Barnsley on the site of the old pit. Address is Rabbit Ings Country Park, Lund Hill Lane, Royston, Barnsley, South Yorkshire S71 4BB.

There is a carpark there, I just dont know if they lock the barrier at night to it, ill have to go and have a scout round one night

I took my two girls there a few years ago and it's good for a walk.

The light pollution from Royston and the Coking plant (stinky works as my two girls used to call it) by the side will be quite bad I would imagine?

It will get a bit better as the plant is supposed to be closing down?

Damian

I took my two girls there a few years ago and it's good for a walk.

The light pollution from Royston and the Coking plant (stinky works as my two girls used to call it) by the side will be quite bad I would imagine?

It will get a bit better as the plant is supposed to be closing down?

Damian

The coking plant has closed now, so fresh air now. I never went before because of the coking plant.

heres the couple of ISS pass pictures i got from the 9th. Was very impressed how close it got to Jupiter, and the last picture is of it heading in to the flag we have on the front of the caravan,

ps. this isnt AP, its taking timelapse of a piece of technology and therefore is an interesting science piccy.

post-26554-0-97235800-1428856332_thumb.j

post-26554-0-53336900-1428856414_thumb.j

post-26554-0-47801200-1428856456_thumb.j

heres the couple of ISS pass pictures i got from the 9th. Was very impressed how close it got to Jupiter, and the last picture is of it heading in to the flag we have on the front of the caravan,

ps. this isnt AP, its taking timelapse of a piece of technology and therefore is an interesting science piccy.

attachicon.gifSAM_4259.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_4260.JPG

attachicon.gifSAM_4262.JPG

What ever Nick [emoji12]

Mark

We are home, and I've just checked the ISS times - 8.40pm at 56 degrees and 10.16pm at 44 degrees - both 3 star passes so should give good photo opportunities if the skies stay clear.

Going to have a couple of hours in the back garden dodging next door's security light.

Might just potter down to Parker Road field at ISS times with the camera :)

i struggled with focus issues when i first got the Canon Vicky after using the little Olympus DSLR, which focused at infinity at the end of the twist. but you will get the hang of it.

Here is my 10.15 pass from tonight 6 images stacked in Starstax.

post-22085-0-75646700-1428874916_thumb.j

That's much better focus Vicky. Which lens are you using as you want to get as wide a field as possible.

I just have the 2 lenses that came with the camera - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III and EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

I was wanting a bit of advise of what lenses would suit taking images of the ISS plus also The Milky Way etc at Kielder.

Do I need to invest in a wide field lens?

Of the 2 lenses I have, which is best for the images I will be taking, and at what settings?

I am still getting my head around the lenses and focal ratios etc as I am just used to Luke's point and shoot one :)

Both the lenses will be fine for what u need Vicky. Use ur 18-55mm for Milky Way it's the widest you have you just need to use it on it lowest F number on manual setting and just try different exposures.

The lenses you have do not have an infinite mark on them so u need to set up while it light put it on auto focus and zoom into something far a way and then mark ur lens. I did mine with tipex at 18/35 and 55 and 75/200 and 300 that way you can just line up the marks when it's dark and you should be in focus.

If I remember I will put photos up later. Hope this helps and I've explained it ok.

Mark

I won't be able to make to Winscarr mid-week as it means too much of a late night when I work Monday to Friday.

However, I may be able to make Overton or somewhere local if anyone else is going out.

See what the skies are going to be like tomorrow evening :)

Both the lenses will be fine for what u need Vicky. Use ur 18-55mm for Milky Way it's the widest you have you just need to use it on it lowest F number on manual setting and just try different exposures.

The lenses you have do not have an infinite mark on them so u need to set up while it light put it on auto focus and zoom into something far a way and then mark ur lens. I did mine with tipex at 18/35 and 55 and 75/200 and 300 that way you can just line up the marks when it's dark and you should be in focus.

If I remember I will put photos up later. Hope this helps and I've explained it ok.

Mark

Thanks for the advise Mark - I'll have a go at that later.

I noticed they didn't have an infinity mark on either of those lenses, but they are both standard stock lenses, so I just twisted them fully one way to focus, but I think they may have a bit of over-focus if you go all the way.

Thanks again - I'll work it out before Kielder :)

4fc7b2543d0d01845a2beafd1e42d28b.jpg

This is what I was meaning Vicky. The dots are just to show me what the lines mean to me 1 . 75mm, 2 : 200mm and 3 : . 300mm Hope that makes it a bit clearer. All I have to do is line up the lines on to focus ring with the ones on the zoom ring works a treat

Mark

Archived