Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Your not kidding mate! Galaxies look so much better under a dark sky! Ill look out for those next time bud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so looking forward to getting the big gun out under darker skies (80mm refractor that is)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking clear for the next two nights... Not sure if I can wangle a trip to winscarr tonight so might set up in the garden instead. As for tomorrow I'll be under very dark skies at Kielder ;)

Hopefully we'll have a clear evening again soon when we can meet up for a good viewing session.

Need to keep going with the DMK camera as I couldn't even get anything into the field of view on Saturday night.

It was really quite frustrating, but I am determined to crack it :)

Advise needed - can I change my laptop settings so that the screen is red, or do I need to cover it with a film or something?

I can't see that it gives me the option within the Imaging Source software that is used with the camera.

Just wondering as it was really bright on Saturday, and it doesn't matter when I am on my own, but I don't want to annoy anyone else with my light.

there might be a programme that can do that Vicky not sure, (I refuse to call computer programmes that run on laptops etc 'Apps' they are for phones) other wise it might be a red gel cover,    I think lighting gel as used in theatres would do, its not that expensive either, a roll is around £7 or so on flea bay

I had two new toys arrive today both ordered a couple of weeks ago,   a new head torch that will go straight to red, without cycling through white light first, and its quite a decent lighting level, 5 lumems, better than my old el cheapo one, and a wireless intervalometer for my dslr,

I hope the cloud I had since I ordered them have appeased the cloud gods enough to keep it clear for the weekend :)

Hopefully we'll have a clear evening again soon when we can meet up for a good viewing session.

Need to keep going with the DMK camera as I couldn't even get anything into the field of view on Saturday night.

It was really quite frustrating, but I am determined to crack it :)

Advise needed - can I change my laptop settings so that the screen is red, or do I need to cover it with a film or something?

I can't see that it gives me the option within the Imaging Source software that is used with the camera.

Just wondering as it was really bright on Saturday, and it doesn't matter when I am on my own, but I don't want to annoy anyone else with my light.

You can buy red film off ebay for about £3 Vicky

Red film is the best bet as Damian and Leigh say Vicky. Its called ruby lith. I have it on my screen. But don't stick it on by peeling the backing. Stick it round the edges with tape that way it's easy to take off and on.

Wow, we've had 4 clear nights on a row! Wife is getting a bit p?ssed off as I keep leaving her to take the little scope up the lane from the caravan site.

But its not often we get treated like this....

Just had 5 minutes out and as Astrotyke said the viewing is terrible.

Arcturus is positioned quite nicely and I can pick out Vega to the north easily but to be fair the moisture and high cloud cover blotting everything out so I've retreated into the house to head for the sack.

Early start tomorrow and fingers crossed some more on the mirror

Damian

Just had 5 minutes out and as Astrotyke said the viewing is terrible.

Arcturus is positioned quite nicely and I can pick out Vega to the north easily but to be fair the moisture and high cloud cover blotting everything out so I've retreated into the house to head for the sack.

Early start tomorrow and fingers crossed some more on the mirror

Damian

I decided to watch the Goonies tonight :) kept checking the sky but it just didnt seem worth it going out. its a clear forecast at the moment for tomorrow night

Yup, got it a Soupy! Really looking forward to it :)

BTW, the ISS is due over this evening at 9.44pm at 56 degrees, so should be a good view if we have clear skies!

Should be good at winscarr ;-)

Looks amazing tonight. Good luck if you go up to winscarr. I've packed the HEQ5 so now on the way to kielder. Gonna see if I can get it working up there tonight. Not got the 200pds but got guide scope so will stick camera onto that. :)

Archived