SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

I would always say get one that's bigger by one person than is actually going to sleep in it, that way you have room to move and store stuff

Yes, that was my thought exactly Leigh, but thank you for the advice. I'll get a better idea when I see them in the store. Need to be mindful of the size, weight and ease of putting it up :)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that was my thought exactly Leigh, but thank you for the advice. I'll get a better idea when I see them in the store. Need to be mindful of the size, weight and ease of putting it up :)

mine is a\ 3 person pop up type, easy to put up on my own,  takes 10 minutes if that, putting it away is a different matter though, usually have to recruit someone to help, and takes half an hour,

Which reminds me, not used it for 2 or 3 years must go put it up in garden to air it

Well, I am not ashamed to say that I WILL need to recruit help for putting up and down lol. I'll just need some advise from you guys for what other gear I'll need to get, without going too overboard with stuff. We have one proper sleeping bag, so I'll pick up another if I see one cheapish. I've not camped since I was in the Venture Scouts :)

Sutton bank might be as near time wise, but it's a lot more miles.  I can't help feel there must be somewhere a bit nearer East of Leeds that has reasonably dark skies - it is very sparsley populated.  Looking at the map, somewhere near RAF Church Fenton would be good I reckon.  There's a forestry comission place that may be ok - Bishop Wood and Dutchman's Carpark.  Need to check it out in daylight though.

asda best bet for sleeping bags probably,camping mats or air beds, (sleeping directly on the ground without gets cold fast (you could use a duvet )  you might need a camping stove and gas, something to keep drinking water in,  kettle suitable for use on gas stove,  cutlery plates etc, (just take some spares from home) coolbox for food and wine, and most importantly  torch and camping lamp.

Also take books or a kindle. something to amuse your self with during down time,  battery radio can be good aswell,

Its a lot easier to get a caravan. I wonder if Paul has room for me to take the van up to his place. It got every thing I need all ready in it just have to wind the legs down get water and put the kettle on. TV, radio, toilet, heating and a double bed   

We've got lovely blue skies over Horbury this afternoon. Let's hope the Cloud Gods are kind and keep it clear for this evening :)

I don't know what's happening with the wether both my wether apps show cloud air day. But here are my fingers crossed

Mark

Ha!  That's why we check on here first.  I really wouldn't know what to do with myself if I stumbled across that!

forget bishopwood, its well known for being a cruising / dog walking (use yur imagination original word got censored) site according to papers.

where in Leeds are you

I'm in Oulton (near Rothwell, South Leeds.) The skies aren't too bad here, esp after midnight when the streetlights go out.  If I'm honest, I'd be going for the company.  Winscarr it is.

Mark, you come up in the camper if you want to yes there is 15 acres I am sure we can find somewhere to put it! ;)

Thanks for that Paul. You might need to check if you can have a caravan on your land as you are in a national forest and they are really funny about thing like that [emoji1]

Mark

Ha!  That's why we check on here first.  I really wouldn't know what to do with myself if I stumbled across that!

I'm in Oulton (near Rothwell, South Leeds.) The skies aren't too bad here, esp after midnight when the streetlights go out.  If I'm honest, I'd be going for the company.  Winscarr it is.

just down the road in Beeston, the skies are horrendous, street lamps directly outside front and back don't help at all, our street lights don't go out meh

Archived