Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

I bet the mozzies will be waking up then Paul!

It's been a gorgeous day I've been doing some work for the ex mother in law then saw my girls before work.

Chopped a limb off a cherry tree today and thought of your wood pile as I was sawing it into bits. Biggest section was probably 10" dia and there was a fair pile by the time I'd finished

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the most photographed tree in the country... Star of Robin Hood prince of thieves.

Kevin Costner sat here not long after landing on the south coast... Even though it is 300 miles away! Then he was in Nottingham! They must have had transporters in those days.

post-22085-0-89568100-1428262012_thumb.j

I bet the mozzies will be waking up then Paul!

It's been a gorgeous day I've been doing some work for the ex mother in law then saw my girls before work.

Chopped a limb off a cherry tree today and thought of your wood pile as I was sawing it into bits. Biggest section was probably 10" dia and there was a fair pile by the time I'd finished

Mozzies are certainly coming out Damian, but not too bad at the minute... Gonna get the mozzie machine up and running at the end of the week to try to at least start breaking the breeding cycle.

As for the wood pile, they would be great for up here but would prob only last 5 minutes the rate we go through it! ;)

I am led to believe this is the actual tree in the Robin Hood film... I'll check it out. :)

I was just thinking of the great oak in sherwood forest.

The cherry logs would smell nice though ;-)

Just spent a pleasurable hour showing most of the kids ( and adults!) Venus and Jupiter at Clumber park caravan club site through the 130mm newt,

but just popped back in to the 'tin villa' to get some warm clothes on and some cold beers. Will take the scope a few hundred yards out of the caravan site (lights on site for safety) where its dark and see if Leo/Virgo will give up any fuzzies before the moon makes an appearance!

Sky quality is brilliant tonight and its pretty dark at Clumber park, although workshop does cast an orange glow to the north.

Hope you all get a good nights viewing in.

Shame you are working Damian. :(

It was guaranteed to be crystal clear but I'd be struggling with the galaxy hunting with the search light at it's peak! I'm very rusty though struggled with naming Arcturus earlier!

I really need to get out

Just spent a pleasurable hour showing most of the kids ( and adults!) Venus and Jupiter at Clumber park caravan club site through the 130mm newt,

but just popped back in to the 'tin villa' to get some warm clothes on and some cold beers. Will take the scope a few hundred yards out of the caravan site (lights on site for safety) where its dark and see if Leo/Virgo will give up any fuzzies before the moon makes an appearance!

Sky quality is brilliant tonight and its pretty dark at Clumber park, although workshop does cast an orange glow to the north.

Hope you all get a good nights viewing in.

Leo and Virgo may be difficult with Crashes Nemesis in the sky

That was fun at Winscar. Nice to meet you guys and chat. Vicky nailed what's left of Lovejoy in the binos. Jupiter was astounding with some nice steady air. But the moon did spoil spoil the party somewhat. And the mist that started rolling in about1130.

Just got the car unpacked and everything back in it's place. Clear skies here, and was tempted to have a go for Saturn from our bedroom, but didn't think the husband would be too impressed as he is up at 4am for work - no bank holiday for him.

Thank you Mark, Leigh and Dave for an enjoyable evening. That mist soon rolled in though, didn't it!

Can't believe I forgot my dew shield! My scope didn't keep clear for long lol. However, enjoyed having a scoot about with the binos, and finally resorted to taking a few images of the moon with Luke's camera.

Looking forward to our next meet up :)

Glad the evening was a success of sort's and as Soupy's says it can just be a case of the water causing mist and it's local to the reservoir dip.

It has now reached that time of year when I can no longer catch sight of any celestial object when I arrive home from a night shift.

I don't think you will have got the full dark sky viewing last night as the moon was present. I can remember me and Nick up there one windy evening with the moon out it was like being in the car headlights

We didn't carry on too long

Archived