SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that Paul. You might need to check if you can have a caravan on your land as you are in a national forest and they are really funny about thing like that [emoji1]

Mark

don't think they will be to bothered for one or two nights,   the time I was up there when paul first gotthe place there was a wild camper in a tent with a fire going on the hill opposite,  they didn't seem to do anything about it. and wild camping is illegal in England

Just got back from being out this afternoon. Do I take it we are having to give it a miss this evening? Has anyone got an update on the cloud cover expected at Winscarr?

its off as far as I am concerned,  tomorrow is a possibility, did you get a tent

I have ordered an OEX Jackal II as the 2 man Vango I looked at was too small, and the larger Vango was a bit too expensive for what I'll be using it for. Just hope it goes up without too much bother, but I intend to have a trial run in my mum's back garden before we go lol :)

Metcheck Astronomy gives 59% after 9pm tonight, but only 20% tomorrow night after 9pm. Not sure how reliable it is.

Cloud on both mine for tonight Vicky. Tomorrow is looking clear from about 7 I clear outside but cloud on the bbc. It's a case of wait and see I think

Mark

BBC still has it cloudy, XC weather has dunford at 1% cloud midnight to 4 am, met check has it 91% cloud up midnight then 2% while 4 am

Are you giving it a miss then for tonight, or do you think you'll head out later if it looks clearer? Tomorrow night is more awkward for me, which is just about typical. It is workable though if tonight is off, but I have to be up earlier Monday than I do Sunday lol.

The Hobgoblin is poured and I'm settled in for the night.

Going to set the 8SE up next to the bed and loft window just in case it clears after midnight to see if I can view Saturn.

I'll keep my eye on here to see if it looks better for tomorrow evening for a meet-up at Winscarr :)

Leigh, if it does look clear, and if you're still going, we'll arrange to meet somewhere near J40 and I'll follow you down.

Excuse my ignorance, but does flocking your scope help reduce it dewing up?

No it just make's the scope's internals less reflective so absorbing extraneous light so improving contrast.

Or it could be that it make's more scope's get together for viewing sessions he he

No it just make's the scope's internals less reflective so absorbing extraneous light so improving contrast.

Or it could be that it make's more scope's get together for viewing sessions he he

Thanks Damian, that's cleared that one up. Another bit of info in my astro knowledge bank lol.

Cloud is clearing here, so I'll be taking the scope up to see if I can view Saturn soon :)

Robin there will be an email coming out this week about Kielder and of course there are still places... It's a society event so open to all right up to the last minute... And we need you to bring your undercover animal cams again just in case! ;)

Just got back in from an evening out viewing lovely clear skies and the thread has moved on nearly two pages ;)

Shame the Moon was out in force tonight.

However had the terrascans out, Jupiter and the Gallilean Moons were looking stunning, I tried to look for some galaxies around Leo but with the Moon being so close by the skies were too light so gave up my search and instead blinded myself with the very bright, just past full, Moon!

My mate is up and it's his birthday he got a new canon 1200D so was showing him how to use it. Got some lovely wide field shots (these are still AP Nick) showed him Jupiter (his first time! ;) ) and he was taking a few snaps of the Moon down the terrascans. He was very impressed! A really good night helped by the company and more than a few glasses of vin rouge :)

I only just got this Damian... Must be the wine... Scopes and flocking together... Haha :)

Haha, yes, I had to read it twice before I got it too!

The sky is clear over Horbury thus morning, looks like it is going to be a nice day.

Fingers crossed it stops clear for us this evening :)

Archived