SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just had a play with the new toy, didn't stay out long too windy, lunar images later when I process them, am very impressed, big improvement on my astromaster.

Glad you like your new scope. Look forward to the picks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive been out tonight with my new scope, got some super views of jupiter and the moon, plus some open clusters. there was some cloud but lots of clear spells.

was a novelty to control it from my android phone, something i didnt think id like at all, but when you get used to the idea its nice :)

Sounds good Chris just be nice to get scope out never mind control it with the phone and take pics!

Yea, its raining now so I was lucky with the weather. Getting used to the goto alignment now having never had a goto scope before. It came with a 40mm and 13mm eyepiece to start with so that willndo for now.

My biggest issue is the reddot finder, I hate it at the momment as I just cant align it at all. Never had that problem with a finder scope, so that might be one area I might look to change.

I thought the same about red dot finders, but used one on my mates scope in US and it worked well. Align scope and Finder up with the moon first then get it on a bright object like Jupiter or Venus to get more accurate. Should be fine after that. :)

I thought the same about red dot finders, but used one on my mates scope in US and it worked well. Align scope and Finder up with the moon first then get it on a bright object like Jupiter or Venus to get more accurate. Should be fine after that. :)

I tried that a bit tonight, try it on a nice bright object. But that was rubbish too. The dot would just not adjust enough so maybe im doing sometging wrong. Ill read the insrructions again for it and see if ive not done something that I should have. Its fastened onto its little dovetail bar ok.

My biggest issue is the reddot finder, I hate it at the momment as I just cant align it at all. Never had that problem with a finder scope, so that might be one area I might look to change.

I'm the other way red dot finder was easy to aline on my 127 Mac but using the finder scope on the 200pds is hard work

I'm the other way red dot finder was easy to aline on my 127 Mac but using the finder scope on the 200pds is hard work

I think I might have been suffering from the ' lets get this new badboy scope outside as quick as possible' syndrome lol apparently you use them with both eyes open? I did read about the red dot finder but must have missed that bit :)

I think I might have been suffering from the ' lets get this new badboy scope outside as quick as possible' syndrome lol apparently you use them with both eyes open? I did read about the red dot finder but must have missed that bit :)

Lol must admit I did the same. We will just have to do the best we can with them. Although I could put the red dot finder off my 127 on to the 200pds [emoji3][emoji3]

Damian, you are welcome t0o borrow my astromaster 130 now I have the new scope. if you have a mount to put it on

Cheers Leigh I have soupy's frac for now although I don't think I'll get much chance to use it the weather being like it is!

Woke at 1am and after a quick look out noticed it was clear.

Arcturus was looking vivid orange and after picking out several constellations and stars I reminded myself what all this is about. Vega was circling in from the north east and to the south east I could make out Saturn.

Grabbing the borrowed Frac I linked up the 13mm eye piece and wow there she was in all her glory. The planet and rings very easy to distinguish and to the north (south actually as the image is flipped) I could make out its moon Titan which I confirmed here using the inverted image for a Frac

http://www.wwu.edu/skywise/saturn.html

Saturn is still in Scorpio but has moved further away from Graffias the top star in the claw.

By the time I put the scope away Antares the main star in Scorpio was just twinkling bright red above the horizon.

I did also manage a quick look at M57 after getting my bearings with the flipped image

Not a bad hour so I returned to bed

Damian

Lovely report Damian. I have never seen Saturn with my own eyes, and it is on my "must see" list. How high is it in the South East at that time, as I have quite a poor horizon? I am going to stop up to view it next time we have a clear night :)

Lovely report Damian. I have never seen Saturn with my own eyes, and it is on my "must see" list. How high is it in the South East at that time, as I have quite a poor horizon? I am going to stop up to view it next time we have a clear night :)

Youve got to see Saturn vicky! I tthink its the best planet. It was the first planet I ever saw through a scope as a kid. Its rising just before midnight now and will be up during the summer.

Just got up as I didn't really get to sleep whilst 4 and the clouds had rolled in too.

It is about 20degrees but I'm sure a little walk down to parker road would give a good view for you.

As with Jupiter I never tire of looking at it and as astrotyke says I think its up there as the best and a must see.

I'd even go as far as to set the alarm to see it. Stunning

Nice one Damian. I was only just going to bed then, should have had a look out. Glad the little frac worked well for you though.

It gave surprisingly good views of Saturn although I didn't have It on the mount just resting it on the window ledge ;-D

Archived