Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Give Luke our best and wish him a happy birthday Vicky. There are a few tricky questions think they are put to catch purple out this week. Almost finished week 4 as well just a couple of videos to watch.

When did Purple Join the course?  :grin:

I am in front of you all on moons then, only got weeks 7 and 8 to do, (was off work ill couple of days last week and was bored out of my mind, )

Seems to me there is at least one question each week designed to catch people out

That's because you did it first time round Nick! :p

Damian your trebor mint is having phases like the Moon!

Ha Ha yeah and like the moon I wish it would behave!!

post-28847-0-45178000-1424715199_thumb.j

My mirror under Foucault test. It's that sensitive it picks up the finger prints as bumps on the mirror as if they were mountains!!

Managed a quick practice set-up and alignment witn my new scope before cloud and rain stopped play. Managed the alignment much better this evening, although it helped when I discovered a cross-hair (that screws into the bottom of the lenses) in my eye-piece kit that I didn't even know was there, which helped tremendously : D . Well, how was I to know?

Anyway, it's time to have a little read of some astronomy books and magazines to prepare me for the next clear evening.

Not had much of a chance to look at my Turn Left at Orion book, which looks like it is going to be extremely useful, plus there is room for me to make little notes and jottings on the pages.

Also, treated myself to Astronomy Now magazine for the last couple of months, and March's issue had a feature on moons, oddly enough.

So, that's my evening sorted. Might even try to finish last week's Moons course later, although it is difficult to concentrate with everyone knocking about :)

I got Turn Left at Orion a couple of weeks ago, after reading recommendations on here. It seems really good from what I have looked at so far, however I am trying to read through it as you would a book when I can't get out as it is packed with information. Not got the Pocket Sky Atlas, might have to order that one next. I prefer to sit and look at my reference books rather than go on-line. My husband calls our conservatory "Vic's Astronomy Central" as my books and gear are all in there, and I have even got my Messier Object poster up in there too, and it looks pretty cool :)

I agree, the bubble is pretty useless - the bubble in the tripod I mount my binos on is far superior. However, we have temporarily misplaced our spirit-level so it has had to be the micro-bubble this week, which perhaps isn't helping my alignment. If we don't find the spirit-level soon I'm going to buy one just for setting up my tripods :)

Finished week 4 of the Moons course. I think it only took me about 1.5 hours, which made a nice change as I usually end up spending far too long on each element. I don't think I'm going to move on to next week's section as I enjoy the interaction with the other students on the course.

Might have another read of my Turn Left at Orion book, as I was really enjoying it last night and gained a lot of information already.

I am finding it very well written and quite entertaining :)

OK, I have had a quick try of RegiStax, and I think I need a lot more practice as I do not know what half of the functions do!

Anyway, here's a stacked image of Mare Nectaris  including Fracastorius (upper middle) and Beaumont (lower middle).

Think I can probably improve on this image once I get Gimp up and running :)

post-39306-0-35533000-1424813661.jpg

Excellent image Vicky. Very well done!

Just finished week 4 of moons back to winning ways though not too impressed that an OU course can get mixed up with mass and weight! Had to answer a question wrong just to get the right mark! That's mad! I teach this to 12 year old kids...

Archived