Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll hopefully be up at Violet and Poppys school - if the head teacher will let me - with a bunch solar glasses and my two fracs. Also got some good templates online to give to the school so they can make pinhole solar projection cameras out of A4 card for the kids to use in the week leading up to the eclipse.

Had a quick go at solar projection this morning and I was pleasantly surprised at the level of detail you can achieve. Sun spots were absolutely crystal clear on my piece of card! If i had my pencil to hand, I would have done some imaging a-la Damien style.

last night i did a quick test of my 5mm hyperion 2 eyepiece that I got in kit when I brought the scope from green witch tried it on my big scope and my daughters little one,

the other week at overton I used the lens for the first and thought it made the image blurry was quite a good night then so should have been sharper ,

since then ive brought a 6mm tmb planetary 2 eyepiece so the test was on

the tmb eyepiece was brilliant sharp contrasty but the hyperion was like meh blurry as thou looking through a pair of glasses with finger prints on checked the lens and theres no indication of any marks etc on it

the hyperion wasmore than  twice the price of the tmb think lee will be getting a email see what can be done

last night i did a quick test of my 5mm hyperion 2 eyepiece that I got in kit when I brought the scope from green witch tried it on my big scope and my daughters little one,

the other week at overton I used the lens for the first and thought it made the image blurry was quite a good night then so should have been sharper ,

since then ive brought a 6mm tmb planetary 2 eyepiece so the test was on

the tmb eyepiece was brilliant sharp contrasty but the hyperion was like meh blurry as thou looking through a pair of glasses with finger prints on checked the lens and theres no indication of any marks etc on it

the hyperion wasmore than  twice the price of the tmb think lee will be getting a email see what can be done

Is anything loose on it Dave? Sound's a little odd that as I've heard good review's of them

Damian

Got offered a celestron astromaster 130mm newtonian on an eq3-2 with clock drive the other day from my sister in laws friend.

He bought it and couldnt work it and hadnt a clue. So he got a "friend" to have a look at it and made it even worse. After his friend had fettled it, couldnt get any EP to focus on anything! Since then its been sat unused.

So he offered it to me for £50 and i picked it up yesterday.

Took it to bits and found this bloke had wound all the collimating knobs all the way up so the mirror was way to far up the tube and therefore not enough back focus in the focuser to achieve focus with any ep!

So a good clean (arent 6" mirrors diddy!!!), centre spotted the mirror, put it all back together properly and collimated it.

stripped the mount of all the horrid grease/glue/gunk and regreased it with quality JCB 'blue' and put everything back together along with a new 9v battery for the clock drive

works perfectly!!!

So I have a nice starter scope for the society if the committee and members want to purchase it. Otherwise its for ebay.

post-26554-0-28834200-1425218494_thumb.j

Well done on that scope Nick.

Seems like it'll be perfect for the WADAS "stock" if the committee and members are in agreement.

It looks like a similar mount/tripod to the one I have just put my 80mm frac on, and it cost me £70 just to get the tube rings, dovetail bar and motor drive fitted.

Looks like it's a nice little scope - great stuff :)

Well done on that scope Nick.

Seems like it'll be perfect for the WADAS "stock" if the committee and members are in agreement.

It looks like a similar mount/tripod to the one I have just put my 80mm frac on, and it cost me £70 just to get the tube rings, dovetail bar and motor drive fitted.

Looks like it's a nice little scope - great stuff  :)

iits  exactly the same mount

Could it be it just doesnt perform well in a fast scope like yours? I've been told to steer clear of hyperions in my f5 dob.

Soupy, the celestron is a blast from the past for me, as its identical to my first scope that I sold when I upgraded to my 12" DOB!

Might have s go at remembering how to polar align and stick my camera + 200mm lens on it for a wide field Orion.

Could it be it just doesnt perform well in a fast scope like yours? I've been told to steer clear of hyperions in my f5 dob.

Soupy, the celestron is a blast from the past for me, as its identical to my first scope that I sold when I upgraded to my 12" DOB!

Might have s go at remembering how to polar align and stick my camera + 200mm lens on it for a wide field Orion.

I'm sure you'll get an excellent wide field, what about trying a t adapter and taking some prime focus shots? :)

I once had my 8mm ethos eye piece in with very blurry views couldn't for the life of me work out what was wrong with it?

Once Damian? I feel there should be more to this post... ;) what happened then?

Archived