SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I'm at work and noticed it was clear and luckily i brought my bins so i got them out and showed a colleague jupiter, m67, m42, m45 and hyades. Pretty pleased i can find all these within seconds now!

Well done Sam, Sounds like your steadily picking up a few favourites

It's great! On monday i took the girlfriend out and apart from freezing she was in awe! She's fallen in love with it! My colleague wants a set of bins now, he was impressed! It gives such a great feeling when you can show someone something they didn't even know existed! - feeling accomplished

Well, I have had a good couple of hours with the new scope, but struggled getting the alignment absolutely spot-on, so did not manage to do much with the camera. I have mainly been getting used to the controls and viewing a couple of the easier targets such as Jupiter, The Pleiades, M31 Andromeda Galaxy, M36 & M37. Only popped out into the back garden, so I have a fairly limited viewing area, and anything south is out of sight behind the house, and anything west is washed out by next door's security light (which they insist cannot be switched off). Anyway, next job is get the 80mm refractor sorted onto it's EQ mount, and hopefully complete the set-up with a motor drive. I think I'll find this scope easier to use to practice with the camera. However, I did manage to get the camera onto the big scope, but with limited success. I could not keep Jupiter focused and centred for long enough to take a video for stacking, however I did manage one single shot before I gave up and went back to viewing. I know it's far from perfectly focused, and it is just a single frame shot, so lacks much detail, but here is my FIRST planetary image taken with my DMK CCD camera. It's not wonderful, but I have found it an achievement nevertheless :)

Jupiter1 21.02.2015.bmp

Yes it is a shame Damian... Never mind there wil be lots more opportunities to cloud dodge.

By the way loving the pinstripe Trebor mint ;)

It may look nice but I wish the lines were straight top to bottom which would mean it was a perfect sphere.

Instead they bend sharply at the edge's meaning the edge is turned down.

I've been working on it for the last week steadily moving it further out.

Thanks for your kind comments and encouragement chaps. It was getting it in the field of view for the camera that I was struggling with as I hadn't got the Goto on the new scope perfectly aligned, and I think my red dot aligner was a fraction out which makes a huge difference when trying to line up the camera. Anyway, I think the image is ok, and far surpasses anything I expected as a first attempt. Hopefully next time I can manage a video for stacking :)

It may look nice but I wish the lines were straight top to bottom which would mean it was a perfect sphere.

Instead they bend sharply at the edge's meaning the edge is turned down.

I've been working on it for the last week steadily moving it further out.

I know you'll get there buddy! If any of us can its you! :)

Archived