WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work Gain and Vicky - some pictures in print, well done.

Did you use any particular software to help create the 9 set montage pic?

Thanks Matt. I used Moldiv, which is a free app I have on the iPad. I have no idea how to create a montage/collage in PS, so had to e-mail myself the photos, so I could save them onto the iPad and drop them into the 9 frame collage template in Moldiv. Long winded way, and I need to learn how to do it in PS. Plus, there are a very limited number of templates in Moldiv, so it's not ideal :)

Thanks not quite as good as urs. I did not really have time to fine tune the focus due to the timing. The eclipse had just started when I started to set up and I would have missed quite a bit.

It was timing on my part I thought It was starting about 2:15 so I thought 2:00 gave me plenty of time

Mark

You want stranded Arctic type cable as it is rated for cold weather and doesn't go brittle.

DC is funny stuff that's why Thomas Edisons local DC system didn't work and why Westinghouse using Nichola Teslas AC system supplied the world.

History lessons are free lol

think I have confused things by mentioning twin & earth cable,   what I meant is I am making a cable to go from a lion battery to the mount, similar to the kind of lead we would use with a cigar lighter plug on one end for a power pack jump starter type,  not a supply from a mains powered PSU,

I mentioned T&E becuas that was the size of 1.5mm  cable I imagined when I worked it out

Thanks not quite as good as urs. I did not really have time to fine tune the focus due to the timing. The eclipse had just started when I started to set up and I would have missed quite a bit.

It was timing on my part I thought It was starting about 2:15 so I thought 2:00 gave me plenty of time Mark

Getting perfect focus was so difficult. Got it all set up and spot on, and then we had "dew panic" just before the eclipse was starting. Fortunately, Gain helped me get the scope off the mount and infront of the car fans for 5 minutes, before helping me get it back on and lined up again. Obviously, I then had to re-focus it all, and managed to get it done in the nick of time. Had to keep checking the focus inbetween each shot by zooming right in to make sure it hadn't slipped, even just a fraction. Then inbetween all that I was trying to lay back and enjoy the splendour of the Milky Way! ;)

Archived