Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

WADAS (Wakefield and District Astronomical Society)

Good stuff Ursula. D

Hope you're having a good day again Damian - is it time for your lunch yet? ;)

Hope it stays clear for tonight now the mist has lifted - I know the moon will still be bright, but I need to get the 8SE back out to re-align the RDF as I threw it all out when I attached the piggy-back mount for the DSLR last week. You actually take the RDF off to attach the DSLR mount, and then re-attach the RDF through the piggy-back mount. All good stuff as it means you can just leave everything in place when not in use.

Also need to give it a go on the NEQ6 so I have a rough idea on balancing before next week, as the counterweights will probably need to go in a completely different place as they do with the WO 110.

Want to get that job done before Kielder, and maybe I might get a bit of viewing done afterwards :)

• Replies 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The day is going OK but little change for now.

I've not stopped for lunch just had it whilst I worked.

Just on with another 3 hours of watching the mirror rotate on the machine which is far easier but a lot more boring than doing it by hand.

More testing at half 3 although we are just trying to bring the edge down so that we can attempt to work the middle 6" of the mirror.

Damian

Hope you're having a good day again Damian - is it time for your lunch yet? ;)

Hope it stays clear for tonight now the mist has lifted - I know the moon will still be bright, but I need to get the 8SE back out to re-align the RDF as I threw it all out when I attached the piggy-back mount for the DSLR last week. You actually take the RDF off to attach the DSLR mount, and then re-attach the RDF through the piggy-back mount. All good stuff as it means you can just leave everything in place when not in use.

Also need to give it a go on the NEQ6 so I have a rough idea on balancing before next week, as the counterweights will probably need to go in a completely different place as they do with the WO 110.

Want to get that job done before Kielder, and maybe I might get a bit of viewing done afterwards :)

Should be a clear night tonight, the moons up just after 9:30. I think my red dot finder is faulty or broken. The back adjuster screw seemed to have dropped down inside it when I looked. Could I ask a favour Vicky please, could you take a pic of your RDF as I want to see what yours is like esp on the scope. Mines just so far off, I can't get it to line up at all

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Should be a clear night tonight, the moons up just after 9:30. I think my red dot finder is faulty or broken. The back adjuster screw seemed to have dropped down inside it when I looked. Could I ask a favour Vicky please, could you take a pic of your RDF as I want to see what yours is like esp on the scope. Mines just so far off, I can't get it to line up at all

Yes, not a problem Chris. I'll do it when I get home this evening :)

Out last night again, only had an hour as I had other things to do, (which got me back inside before the Moon came up) spotted one meteor just below Cassiopeia at around 8-45 lasting about 2 secs. Again, really enjoyed just wandering aimlessly along the milky way with my old 10x50 bino's and also a 25mm eyepiece through my 8" dob. 

Advice please regarding eyepieces for planetary obs, which would be best, I have been looking at a 10mm or 15mm plossl , but not sure, I have a 6mm plossl already but am looking at adding to my collection. ps:The eyepiece I would hope to be using with both my scopes.

regards

Eric

Out last night again, only had an hour as I had other things to do, (which got me back inside before the Moon came up) spotted one meteor just below Cassiopeia at around 8-45 lasting about 2 secs. Again, really enjoyed just wandering aimlessly along the milky way with my old 10x50 bino's and also a 25mm eyepiece through my 8" dob.

Advice please regarding eyepieces for planetary obs, which would be best, I have been looking at a 10mm or 15mm plossl , but not sure, I have a 6mm plossl already but am looking at adding to my collection. ps:The eyepiece I would hope to be using with both my scopes.

regards

Eric

Sounds like you are getting out there Eric - nice to see a fellow bino fan! I love my 10x50s :)

With regards to EPs, I will also be looking to start a little collection - I have been recommended the BST Explorer range, the Celestron X-Cels and the ES82s. The BSTs are reasonably priced and come highly recommended. MattGoo has a range of BSTs, and he rates them well. Nick has recently purchased an ES82, and it sounds a beautiful EP, although price-wise they are in the slightly higher end. What F ratios are your scopes, as some EPs are not so good in the faster scopes.

My scopes are all fairly slow at F10, F9 and F7, so it isn't something I have to particularly worry about.

Anyway, I'm sure you will get lots of help and advice from the guys on here :)

Hi Mark, we have a members only weekend next week so unfortunately you can't come to this, so the next official meet at Horbury Academy is the 5th of November yes. After the meeting we'll prob go for a curry so feel free to join us at the too! ;)

Hi Paul

Does mean I could come kielder,pity I have something else on

Hi Chris, don't know if these will help. Let me know if you need any other info :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cheers Vicky. It's that back adjuster screw I'm interested in. The screw head on mine seems to have gone through the plastic. I managed to unscrew it out again so I'm going to see if it will adjust

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/az-goto/sky-watcher-star-discovery-150p.html

or the

Nexstar 127 slt

​​

I am thinking of getting one of these 2

probs the 127 slt

any thoughts on there and my budget is £500, 600 max for my first real one if you have any better suggestions

thanks

Mark

Hi Mark

Will you be using it for purely visual or do you want to do imaging with it?

Damian

I've got it off the scope note and I'm say here with my screw driver. Gonna see what I can do with it

Hi Chris

If it helps I had to pack mine up at the back to get it to align

Neil

Hi Chris

If it helps I had to pack mine up at the back to get it to align

Neil

Ah right. Cheers Neil. Roghtt. I've managed to but it back to how it was, on mine there's not much plastic to stop the screw from going through. Anyway, I'll put it back on the scope and take it out tonight and adjust it. I've even given it a nice fresh battery :) I just hope it adjust now. 3d70c4252e91627ee43dce35f61f7a4b.jpg1a47d5f82577037d84e495ef55ad070b.jpg

I have and like I said I am thinking about buy the nexstar 127 slt or the skywatcher discovery 150p but I do have a budget of 500, 600 at a push so am open to suggestions

and upto now that's the one am thinking of getting the nexstar 127 slt

I have and like I said I am thinking about buy the nexstar 127 slt or the skywatcher discovery 150p but I do have a budget of 500, 600 at a push so am open to suggestions

and upto now that's the one am thinking of getting the nexstar 127 slt

If it is initially for visual I would go for an 8" dob although you would have to learn the skies manually.

All set up in the back yard with my 8SE on the NEQ6 - only took me about 15 minutes today - definitely getting my confidence with that mount.

Just having tea whilst it gets dark, and then I'll be ready to go out and have a play!

Got a few cold beers ready for later, so I think I'm all set - hopefully the RDF will play ball so I can get some viewing in :)

All set up in the back yard with my 8SE on the NEQ6 - only took me about 15 minutes today - definitely getting my confidence with that mount.

Just having tea whilst it gets dark, and then I'll be ready to go out and have a play!

Got a few cold beers ready for later, so I think I'm all set - hopefully the RDF will play ball so I can get some viewing in :)

Lucky you. I've got to take the wife to her friends tonight, so. Can't get setup yet.

The second hand route is a good way too discuss that with Soupy

I agree with that. A big DOB is good, if you have somewhere to store it. Id like to get a big DOB for my next scope but only place I could store it is in the shed, not sure I'm keen on that idea.

Archived