NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi from Sussex, England!

Bathurst

Hi all, been fascinated by the Stars since I was a kid and owned a small Argos style telescope but not used that for 20 years. Always watched the Sky At Night and been intrigued by Brian Coxs' shows in recent years, so much so that I started Astrophotography with a 16x Compact Camera....yeah it's not amazing or anything but I got some cool shots!

I'm now in my mid 30s and decided to get a proper low budget scope so I can start to really check out the Galaxy, ordered a Skywatcher 130PM after researching around the internet (including threads on this forum, hence I'm now here!) and it arrived today! Put it all together this evening and in a strange way I was thankful that it's cloudy, had the stars been out I may of rushed the assembly and screwed it up!

Anyway yeah I'm technically a complete novice with a fascination of the Stars/Planets/Galaxies and very small knowledge of which stars are which (I have the Android App for that), I fully understand that the £200 on my scope wont be the last I'll spend on it as decent eyepieces are gonna be needed straight away, that and I need to Mod a Camera connection to the eyepiece...no I cant afford a DSLR so my Compact will have to do!

uuummm that's it I think, from Brighton in Sussex (UK) so have the mercy of the South Downs on my doorstep to escape the light pollution, roll on Comet Ison in December and Beatlegeuse (sp?) blowing up and giving us a show (see I told you I watch Sky At Night!!)

Cheers All

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, Bathurst, and welcome to SGL! There is a very popular (and free!) planetarium called 'Stellarium' which will help you identify sky objects and help in planning an evening's viewing. it is customisable not only to an individual location, but also will give you realistic expectations of what you will see through the eyepieces of your scope. For the price, you cannot get a better programme! Available here: http://stellarium.org/

Hope that helps,

Martin.

Hi, Bathurst, and welcome to SGL! There is a very popular (and free!) planetarium called 'Stellarium' which will help you identify sky objects and help in planning an evening's viewing. it is customisable not only to an individual location, but also will give you realistic expectations of what you will see through the eyepieces of your scope. For the price, you cannot get a better programme! Available here: http://stellarium.org/

Hope that helps,

Martin.

thanks for that I'll take a look later, thanks all for the welcome too :-)

Welcome Bathurst. As you've already found there's a wealth of experience and advice to be found on here, just ask. Congrats on new scope, there's bound to be clear skies sometime!

A couple of books you might find useful (if you haven't already got them).

Turn Left at Orion, and Sky and Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas.

Jason

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

thanks all very the very warm welcome, used the scope for the first time last night to look at the full moon, definitely need a moon filter hehe!

also took some pictures with my phone's camera and they came out surprisingly good, couldn't get anything with the compact camera though....need to read up on that!

Archived