SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hi everyone

CC_Japan

My name is Chris. I originally from Europe, but I have been living in Japan for quite some time.

Landscape photography has been my main hobby for five to six years, and recently I discovered the obvious, namely that one can take beautiful pictures of the night sky as well. I have dabbled with wide-field photography for some time, but would like to take pictures of DSO as well. I have visited this forum as a guest for several months now, to read and learn and finally decided to join today.

The Pacific coast of Japan with its major metropolitan areas around Tokyo and Osaka and therefore high levels of light pollution force me to head out to the countryside to take pictures. It makes for a nice exercise to carry around stuff, in particular in the hot summer, but also limits what kind of equipment I can bring with me. I just posted a question about a suitable to-go set-up in the equipment thread.

So, looking forward to becoming a contributing member of this great forum and learning a lot from the veterans here. Thanks for reading.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Chris,

Hiking through the Japanese countryside to get to dark sky! The things we have to do.

Welcome

It's more like hitch-hiking from train to rentacar :smiley: . I wouldn't want to hike with my heavy Manfrotto tripod, DSLR and a handful of lenses or in the future my scope and other AP equipment.

Ah.. the summer nights in countryside of Japan.. those never ending singings of cicadas in the forrest.. that moist and hot air that will make sweat run on your skin.. countryside train going through the ricefield with calm mountains in the distance.. with millions for stars shining on the sky, from which some fall from it sometimes.. the image of my youth returns!

Gokigenyou douhou Chris and welcome!

Ah.. the summer nights in countryside of Japan.. those never ending singings of cicadas in the forrest.. that moist and hot air that will make sweat run on your skin.. countryside train going through the ricefield with calm mountains in the distance.. with millions for stars shining on the sky, from which some fall from it sometimes.. the image of my youth returns!

Gokigenyou douhou Chris and welcome!

I had to smile when I read that . It's been a very hot and sweaty summer here, but even if you go to the countryside, the weather hasn't been all that great this year. It' been very humid, as if the rainy season was still going on. Usually, the weather is pretty stable in August, but this year it's (too) humid. The other day I was in the mountains to take wide starfield shots. Some Japanese asked whether where they could find the milky way. I could point them in the direction where it should be, but it wasn't visible. 10 minutes later the clouds had rolled in and fog reduced sight considerably. I hope that the weather will be more stable in autumn.

I had to smile when I read that . It's been a very hot and sweaty summer here, but even if you go to the countryside, the weather hasn't been all that great this year. It' been very humid, as if the rainy season was still going on. Usually, the weather is pretty stable in August, but this year it's (too) humid. The other day I was in the mountains to take wide starfield shots. Some Japanese asked whether where they could find the milky way. I could point them in the direction where it should be, but it wasn't visible. 10 minutes later the clouds had rolled in and fog reduced sight considerably. I hope that the weather will be more stable in autumn.

Yes.. rarely skies are that great in Japan. Though I do remember vividly one particular mid summer night sky, more than a decade ago it was, when I went with my friend from Narashino-shi to Katsuura-shi, located at near southern tip of Bousou peninsula of Chiba-ken, by bicycles and we slept in the mountain and then sky was perfect, saw millions and some falling stars with our naked eyes, lying on the ground in our sleeping bags we gazed at the sky for hours. It was a memorable moment, even though as some ants crawled in our sleeping bags!!

Hello Everyone , my name is miad from Sydney,

currently i'm doing physics in Sydney university . one of my subjects is Astronomy.

has anyone done it ? or doing it??? i need help in one of my assignment .

Appreciate it

Yes.. rarely skies are that great in Japan. Though I do remember vividly one particular mid summer night sky, more than a decade ago it was, when I went with my friend from Narashino-shi to Katsuura-shi, located at near southern tip of Bousou peninsula of Chiba-ken, by bicycles and we slept in the mountain and then sky was perfect, saw millions and some falling stars with our naked eyes, lying on the ground in our sleeping bags we gazed at the sky for hours. It was a memorable moment, even though as some ants crawled in our sleeping bags!!

I can imagine that with good seeing condition the southern part of Bousou peninsula makes for a great star watching spot. I realized how beautiful the stars can be in this country when I was taking pictures of Diamond Fuji from Yamanashi prefecture. Even though there was light pollution from the building surrounding Lake Yamanaka, the night sky was beautiful.

..I was taking pictures of Diamond Fuji from Yamanashi prefecture. Even though there was light pollution from the building surrounding Lake Yamanaka, the night sky was beautiful.

Sounds nice, if you ever post some of those pics on your personal gallery on this site, let me know will you. hiding.gif

Archived