Hello from Shropshire

JED-E3

Hi, I've been lurking for a long while, and wanted to say hello.

I live in shropshire, sadly a little too close to Telford to have really dark skies but it could be worse, I can see the milky way from my garden when it's overhead.

I have a Skywatcher 200p Dobsonian which I bought last September after owning a few lesser scopes over the past 20 years. I've done quite a few mods to it including flocking the tube and making a leveling base with setting circles.

I'm currently trying hard to resist buying a bigger Dobsonian and converting my current one into some kind of travel dob with maybe a truss tube and smaller lighter base, hmm.

Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself because I really like this forum and plan on being an occasional poster, so hello :hello:

James.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcomes.

Hi James and welcome to SGL from a fellow (sometimes) Salopian. Funny how all these cloudy skies make us want to modify our scopes and dream of bigger mirrors!

True, I'm just glad that i've not developed a taste for expensive eyepieces, yet.

Hi James welcome to the lounge,

eyepieces will definitely be next, it's getting to

use them, this weather is so frustrating at the

moment, great choice of scope by the way.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hi James,

Welcome on board!

I camped out at Foxholes camp site at Bishops Castle last weekend.

The weather was wet and windy. I got up at 01:20am on Sunday morning to see a dark sky and stars.

I thinking of returning there in September with my dob.

I went into two of the local pubs and found the clientele extremely friendly.

SGL is a great place to meet people online and the Annual do at Lucksall camp site near Hereford

every March is well organised, informal and the Hog Roast is extremely tasty.

Best Wishes

Adrian

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, I'll have to try and make it to a local astro social event at some point, I've never really observed with like minded folks and the opportunity to share a bit of enthusiasm would be great.

James.

Archived