NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Stargazer Vest??

Tonight there were plenty of clouds in the sky tonight. Finally I was able to view Saturn. While reaching down for my 10mm eyepiece on my tray, I dropped my eyepiece. I was in the grass, so no harm was done. Anyway, does anybody use a fishing vest or a shirt with multiple pockets to store different eyepieces and supplies? I haven't purchased one yet and was wondering if this would make things easier for sorting lenses. Thanks.

Have thought about much the same thing, although not really looked into it except when a fishing vest was very apparent in an angling shop. Is there a Bass Pro shop near you ? Not sure how comfortable a vest with 4 or more eyepieces in it would be, especially as eyepieces seem to be slowly increasing in size. Plossl's are fairly small, Paradigms bigger and then come eyepieces like ES 82's and upwards to the TV range. People would I suppose have to be realistic on the eyepieces that would be suitable.

Think that it would need to have 6 pockets, in my case, as I would then have a BST/Paradigm in each. :grin: :grin:

That idea works fine on small EPs like the BGO or Plossls, but I do not fancy carrying the Terminagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust" at 1kg, combined with my complete Nagler T4 set (482g, 726g and 681g respectively), and the XW7 and 10 mm (400g a pop). The XF8.5 is OK, as are filters, but since I need a case anyway, I might as well put them in there.

I just keep mine in a foam lined case next to the scope. I know even in pitch blackness which eyepieces are where as they go in specific places. it keeps them safe when not in use and is less fiddly that bolt tubes etc. I got mine from Maplin.

Same here, bought an ebay flight case with pick and pluck foam. It doesn't last long with heavy eps.

Bought a camping roll and cut off a cardboard box to half the depth of the case.Base is camping mat, self adhesive tape holds this and a top cover to the cardboard.

Then I cut holes to hold each ep upright . This is kept near the scope, as I had enough of dropping stuff and trying to find stuff.

I also found a small plastic box from the £ shop which holds 6 eps, for that foray into

clearer skies,

Nick.

I do like to keep my eyepieces warm as it reduces fogging/dew in autumn and spring, so I have a coat which has never been used for anything but eyepieces, the pockets are a silky material so no fluff and there are 6 pockets, I know which pocket is which eyepiece and I don't lose them in the dark. I have looked at fishing vests but the pockets are not always soft, I have even considered lining them with baader optic cloths for the ultimate care.

Some kind of warm vest, whether down or synthetic filled is perhaps a good idea and makes for a versatile three season garment. The pockets on my Rab down vest are used as hand warmers or for keeping a torch, gloves in and not for any kind of optics, preferring instead like others to use a case alongside the scope on a small table.

Multi pocketed fishing vests are very useful for keeping all sorts in, they are so good that there comes a time when you can`t remember in which pocket you left what!, so be warned, they can be frustrating at times :)

Hi Ron,

as a very keen fly angler i use one of these....http://fishpondusa.com/wasatch.cfm

Not sure if it is what you are looking for but they are adjustable, comfy and will protect your expensive eyepieces and filters as the 2 fold down pockets are super padded in a kind of hard shell. They have a lot of pockets as well, a fantastic vest in my opinion but that is for fly fishing!

Hi Ron,

as a very keen fly angler i use one of these....http://fishpondusa.com/wasatch.cfm

Not sure if it is what you are looking for but they are adjustable, comfy and will protect your expensive eyepieces and filters as the 2 fold down pockets are super padded in a kind of hard shell. They have a lot of pockets as well, a fantastic vest in my opinion but that is for fly fishing!

They look very nice indeed, I wear an Englands so if I fall in the water, I come up floating :) bit expensive for Astronomy though, that's almost a couple of eye pieces.

Hi Guys,

In any local electronic supply store you should be able to purchase LED light strips. Get the red one and line your eyepiece case with it. The strip can be powered off a 12V source and will run with barely any power consumption. You can now find your eyepieces and not ruin dark adaptation.

I realise that large TV and even the bigger EP's etc are not going to drop easily into a pocket, thoughts were very much along the plossl and BST type/size of eyepiece. I have Antares and Speers Waller EP's that will not fit easily. As to cases I keep mine in 2 cases but the question wasn't about flight cases but specifically said a stargazer vest, and asks in the original post about a vest or shirt with multiple pockets.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived