Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Photoshop licencing rules??

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

£20 a MONTH for a single application.. so within 10 months you're onto a winner with Pixinsight..

Adobe are doing it so they can run software-as-a-service. Attempting to reduce the number of pirated copies etc.

Now if you were using PS for 10 years.. that 120*20 = £2,400. Now look at the number of images taken ... how often would you use it?

Adobe is trying to get rid of casual users like astro imagers and go over to a system where you have to pay $20.00 dollars a month to rent it , CS6 appears to be the last version.

This will obviously suit them as they won't have to bring out new versions, but they are not interested in the little guy and only want corporate users.

Perhaps they'll beef up Elements to compensate or maybe it's an opportunity for one of the other imaging programs to step up and take over.

Was thinking of upgrading to CS6 recently, guess I won't bother now :)

Dave

Our BIM software at work costs £10,000 per seat and we have circa 100 seats. I'm not sure if they are on subscription as well, but it sure looks like a move by adobe to focus on commercial users. However, if you like me CS5 does all I want and need so I am happy not to upgrade or subscribe.

Guess it depends how often you would use it, I thought the major plus for PS was layers and LAB? and LAB you can get elsewhere now

I've got CS3 but rarely use it, got a clutch of RAW editors (Adobe Lightroom, Aperture, SilkyPix and free stuff), Topaz, third party apps and PI so don't think PS has anything I need, they can keep it :grin:

Tend to do most stuff in PI then tweak in one of the above as a tiff if necessary

If I didn't have the above I might be tempted by Google's purchase of Nik software at new low cost http://www.niksoftware.com/nikcollection/usa/intro.html, tried them a couple of years back but was put off by the high price then

Of course Gimp is free but I could never get on with it personally

It seems all software providers try this option at one time or other in their existence, sometimes it is indicative of desparation. I remember years ago Intuit doing it with their Quicken personal finance product. Needless to say it nosedived, at least in the UK, where the Quicken product was pulled. Shame, because it was much better overall than its primary competitor at the time, MS Money.

I imagine they're hoping to attract people who would baulk at shelling out several hundreds on software but would hopefully stomach £20 a month, however as others have said after just a few months of putting the money in a piggy bank instead, you can treat yourself to PixInsight or AstroArt.

I used the GIMP for many years and still do - mainly the Linux version. Not as powerful as PS but has layers. I think the menu items make more sense in PS though and some features are less complicated in PS. I still use the GIMP on my Linux desktop for tidying up electronic circuit diagrams which I create in XCircuit.

Another +1 for Gimp - I use GIMP2 ver 2.8 on 3 Windows and 1 Linux desktop and although a couple of features are tucked under the hood once you've found them once it's no problem. It's sufficiently featured for my needs and it's free/Open Source.

I understand there's also a plugin for it called GimpShop (though not tried this myself) - to make the UI closer to PS to help with any transition. The Layers functionality is excellent, once you discover that luminance Layer should be set to Value Blend Mode.

It could really use a couple of good astro related tutorials, though I don't currently consider myself proficient enough in this area. That said I haven't really had to struggle to find anything and normally a quick search on a feature will bring up the relevant info. Like most things the terminology may be a little different, but once you know what you're trying to achieve it's pretty straightforward to find you way around (if a little slow for the first couple of goes).

Interesting to compare US and UK pricing... You only get to see the US until it decides you UK based...

Full Suite is $49.99 an month in the US and £46.88 in the UK

Single app is $19.99 a month in the US and £17.58 in the UK...

Oh and these are introductory prices valid is you sign up before July 31st...

Peter...

This subscription introduction is just for the latest updates isn't it? So if my CS5 works perfectly well for me now, then that's it. I won't need to pay a subscription to continue to use it will I? I can't see many of the upgrades being useful to astro imagers anyway. Unless they upgrade to a specific button that will process an image perfectly then they'll not be getting any of my ££'s.

Interesting to compare US and UK pricing... You only get to see the US until it decides you UK based...

Full Suite is $49.99 an month in the US and £46.88 in the UK

Single app is $19.99 a month in the US and £17.58 in the UK...

That's just way out of line. They can kiss goodbye to getting any more money from me...

James

This subscription introduction is just for the latest updates isn't it? So if my CS5 works perfectly well for me now, then that's it. I won't need to pay a subscription to continue to use it will I? I can't see many of the upgrades being useful to astro imagers anyway. Unless they upgrade to a specific button that will process an image perfectly then they'll not be getting any of my ££'s.

Existing users should be able to carry on as-is, I believe. I imagine an awful lot of people would be seriously upset if having paid £600 or whatever it is, Adobe then said "and now you've got to cough up £47 a month, too".

James

I managed to find the US pricing here:

http://www.adobe.com...ying-guide.html

and the UK pricing here:

https://creative.adobe.com/plans

There's a drop-down on that second page that gives a selection of currency choices. I daren't trust my currency conversions today, but switching to Euros it looks like the pricing is near enough the same as the US and the Yen one looks very similar too, so it may well just be the UK that gets stiffed.

James

Strictly speaking, it's not "for free". It's because they had a problem that broke earlier versions of the software and had to provide valid keys for existing users to be able to continue using the products. The keys are only intended for the use of existing product owners, though the effect is pretty much as you describe.

James

I managed to find the US pricing here:

http://www.adobe.com...ying-guide.html

and the UK pricing here:

https://creative.adobe.com/plans

There's a drop-down on that second page that gives a selection of currency choices. I daren't trust my currency conversions today, but switching to Euros it looks like the pricing is near enough the same as the US and the Yen one looks very similar too, so it may well just be the UK that gets stiffed.

James

If it's quiet on Friday I might just ring them and ask why...

Archived