Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M13

Hi all. So, out with my new scope for the second time tonight.

After loosing Saturn over the roof of next door, decided to hunt out my first DSO. Picked M13 as I have a great clear view of Hercules.

I'm certain The little grey smudge I am seeing in the eyepiece is M13. I am very pleased to say the least!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

M13 is indeed a beauty. Don't forget M92 nearby, that's very nice too. If your sky is good in that direction M57 is rising higher and higher and you will love that, looks like a smoke ring. It's great starting out, so much to see for the first time. Every nights a blast. Good luck

Barry

The viewing here last night wasn't great, but I still managed to have my regular look at both M13 and M92 as well as the now fading PANSTARRS. I must admit to having a soft spot for M13 as it was the first object I looked at when I got my dob. Well worth revisiting whenever you can.

Dave.

If you can find the Keystone, then finding M13 is the easy bit. Now I know where to look I can find M13 every time. I have spent some considerable time tracking down other fuzzies though, so I know what you have been going through. Still, once found, it's always a treat.

Dave.

Quite an unusual target for a first dso, It took me 2 whole years to find it because it's in Hercules, which is quite faint

i suppose some parts of hercules can be faint ,but remember you only need a few stars to get a bearing as to where your looking. so the keystone makes m13 a fairly easy target to locate.

great object by the way, i also love globular clusters.

Never knew where Hercules was until tonight (30 minutes ago). Took out the iPad into the garage and found M13 with the finder. Looked in the 32mm ep and what a breathtaking sight! Shifted across and found M92. Not quite as bright. Back to M13 and changed to the 10mm. Woah! Didn't expect it to look that good, even in lp skies. I'll have to get out onto the mountain to see what it's like there.

Messier 92 is another fine globular cluster and also in Hercules. I've just been comparing the views of M92 and M13 with my 12" dobsonian. M92 is more compact but is well resolved with this aperture. M13 virtually fills the field of view with tightly packed stars at 200x - a breathtaking sight :smiley:

Sky tonight is clear, but not too good optically. Just did a back to back comparison of M13, M92, M3 and M5. Out of the four, I think M3 was looking the best tonight. All well worth a look though even with average viewing conditions.

Dave.

Archived