Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M13

I agree John. Just had a look at M13 myself with my 12" f4 at 200x. truly superb. M92 is also very much under-rated and is a lovely compact glob as you say. the seeing here was not great but it turned into a decent night (well couple of hours) with three new Messiers for me (all galaxies M61 and M49 in Virgo and M88 in Coma). could not convince myself I was seeing M91 and could not see enough stars in the finder to get to M86 and M84 with any certainty (these being other galaxies I have yet to see in this area).

back to globs, M53 is also nice but not a patch on the other two above.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
M5 is more attractive even than M13 to my eyes. it's a stunner. globs are some of my favourite objects and certainly get better and better with increasing aperture.

Funny, I've just come in and had a look at a few globs. I had formed the opinion that M5 was prettier than M3, always previously believing it was the reverse. Just read your post and would have to agree. M5 is a real beaut!

Barry

Had good look at M13, M3 and M5 tonight - I still think M13 tops them for me. They're all beautiful objects though, and I was quite pleased to see them resolve at the edges a wee bit (especially M13) in my 125mm achro (at x162).

I thought the seeing wasn't too bad tonight. Best night I've had in a while - shame I have to get up in four hours!

I went out for an hour to 'look at one or maybe two Messiers', only to end up viewing M13, and M3, M53, M92 for the first time. With my scope and under severe LP they all just appeared as blobs (with a hint of graininess in averted vision for M13 and M53). I did think M92 seemed brightest, and it struck me that maybe it's ignored a bit 'cos it's so close to M13. Oh, and I found M64 too, though it was very faint and not much to look at - not bad for an hour.

Wow, not been on the forum for a couple of nights, and didn't imagine tho thread would end up as busy as it has been!

It's brilliant it has been busy, I've got quite a nice list of messiers to try now.

M13 was an unusual one for a first DSO I guess, but being that my back garden faced it, it was in part of the sky least affected by light pollution. Seemed a logical choice.

Sky is reasonably clear here again tonight so hoping to have at least an hours viewing.

have to say globs are my favourite objects to date. MY pic of the bunch was m22 , i think because i was not expecting much being low down on the horizon. i was wrong ,it a beut.

i think i also like the fact that you can give globs a good dollop of magnification .

theres one other thing that contributes to my liking of globs, i never knew they existed until i took up this hobby !

Archived