Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A New Beginning at Retirement

FredThomas

I retired around a year ago and now purchased a Celestron 8SE. I am using it with an old Konica/Minolta camera of mine and already produced a great moon photo. Now waiting for my Barlow 2x and remote shutter release so I can take a picture of Jupiter with its moons as trying to capture an image without the remote release and without the extra magnification does not produce a great result. I hope to take many more photos as soon as I am able to restart the telescope which has locked up awaiting a firmware update. I have found an almost zero light pollution location with an incredible view of the nightsky, so this is the beginning of a new adventure. I had a great interest in astronomy as a child but this ceased during my busy working life - now I have time to really enjoy it !

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Fred and welcome to the lounge,

you have chosen a great hobby for your retirement, lot's to learn

and lot's to see, if any help needed just ask, a very friendly and

knowledgeable lot here.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

Hi Fred, welcome to SGL and all the best in your retirement. Hopefully you will now have time to enjoy astronomy and looking forward to seeing your images. I have also recently retired and same as you rekindling a childhood interest in astronomy to the extent that I will be starting at Manchester University in September as a mature student on the physics with astrophysics degree. All the best, Bob :smiley:

Welcome to SGL. The 8SE is a very capable and compact instrument (for its aperture). For moon, a DSLR is great, but for planets I would consider getting a webcam or planetary camera, as you do not need the megapixels of a DSLR, but you need the high frame rate of a webcam/planetary cam.

Clear skies,

Michael

Hi Fred and welcome to the forum. Taking a single shot through earth's turbulent atmosphere at a very distant object is a very hit and miss affair but using a webcam as suggested above (that can take many 'pictures' in a very short period) will certainly improve matters. If you then apply this data to a free software program called 'Registax', you will then be able to subtract the poor blurred frames from your webcam 'film' leaving you best ones to stack on top of each to create a final composite image. If you want more details about this process and advice on which webcam works best etc I would suggest posting a question over on the imaging section as the folks over there will get you up and running in no time.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived