Hello From Michael in Burton Upon Trent - UK

Michael_E

Hi Everyone

Thought I would introduce myself to everyone. My name is Michael and I live in Burton Upon Trent. Originally from Oxford. I have always been interested in Astronomy since I was a young one (which is a while now I must admit) but I never felt brave enough to buy myself a nice setup to enjoy my interest.

Back in Aug 2011 I had a bad experience when I bought myself a SW 200p on HEQ5 from Astronomy and Nature Centre. The whole thing was very badly faulty and after over 3 months of continous letters, phonecalls and arguments, I finally managed to get my money back. The sad thing was after all the stress caused, it put me right off making another purchase incase all this happened again.

So for over a year I was left just to look up at the stars in wonder until finally I really wanted to try again. But this time I wanted something easier to use (Think I started off to big) so at Christmas I got a great gift of a Celestron Nexstar 6SE. Very lucky chappy! :) Due to all the bad weather and bad health I have only been able to use it twice, but I have to say the viewing through the scope was so much better than the 200P. I need a lot more time to get used to getting it aligned properly due to it having really bad backlash and struggling to get the anti backlash settings right.

I did buy at the time of buying the SW one of those modded SPC900NC webcams that do Long Exposure as well as planetary stuff. Sadly I didn't get time to use it properly but I will be doing now. I understand it will be more difficult with my new set up to do DSO but I am willing to give it a go. I like a challenge and I think I will have a challenge hehe. I will be concentrating on Planetary and moon at the start both visual and mainly imagery, and then see where it will take me. I have already done some astro images of Jupiter the other day which I will post later on. It was very windy that night so I found it difficult to get good results.

I am hoping I will be able to learn a lot from you all here at StarGazers Lounge and making some new friends along the way.

Thanks for taking to time to read this. :)

Michael

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Michael & welcome to SGL.

There is an Astronomy Group that meets at Rosliston: - http://www.roslistonastronomy.org.uk/html/coming_up.html

They have been doing talks on Astronomy which are quite useful

Next meeting Friday 26th April @ 7.30pm £2 admission, observing afterwards if skies are clear.

Cheers,

fondofchips

Hello & welcome :laugh:

Michael I am not sure if you have one already but a dew shield is a must with an SCT.

Not having one can cut your viewing time right down and you will disturb the coatings on the corrector plate if you try wiping it off.

Shaun

First of all thank you all so much for the very warm welcome. Always nice to see new replies when logging on. :) I think I have found my new home :)

I have already posted some of my first images of Jupiter using my new scope at the following link. http://stargazerslou...ing-high-winds/ Hope you like them.

There is an Astronomy Group that meets at Rosliston: - http://www.rosliston.../coming_up.html

They have been doing talks on Astronomy which are quite useful

Next meeting Friday 26th April @ 7.30pm £2 admission, observing afterwards if skies are clear.

Cheers,

fondofchips

Thank you for the valuable information. The forest centre is not far away from me. I will have to try my best to attend. Do you go to this group?

Michael I am not sure if you have one already but a dew shield is a must with an SCT.

Not having one can cut your viewing time right down and you will disturb the coatings on the corrector plate if you try wiping it off.

Shaun

Thanks for the warning. I was lucky to have a few more extra gifts along with my scope and a Celestron Dew Shield was one of them. Think it will be using it all the time with this scope. I have found though that when the wind blows a little, it makes the scope dance a lot.

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum. Sad to read of your earlier experience into astronomy but thankfully you seem to be on the right track now.

I'm pleased you persevered, it would have been a shame if a bad experience spoiled what is a great hobby.

I have been interested in Astronomy ever since I can remember, so I think it is in my blood. Just circumstances do influence decisions and unfortunately it has taken me this long to get started properly in this hobby. But as they say, better late than never. :)

Hi Michael and welcome to SGL, if imaging is to be included as well as observing, then I would recommend you obtain a copy of Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count", available through FLO, see top of page. It should be invaluable to you in the long run :)

John.

Hi Michael,glad you persevered and are now enjoying this wonderful hobby

pThanks Dave. I hope I will be able to enjoy it more now. :laugh:

Hi Michael and welcome to SGL, if imaging is to be included as well as observing, then I would recommend you obtain a copy of Steve Richards book "Making Every Photon Count", available through FLO, see top of page. It should be invaluable to you in the long run :)

John.

Thanks for the recommendation John. Think I will need all the help I can get. :eek:

• 1 month later...

Hello Michael and a big welcome from me, just down the A38 in Whittington. I'm considering a trip up to the Rosliston meetings myself so might well see you there sometime!

All the best, Dean

Archived