NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

More of the same , giving up.

cotterless45

My problem is when I done the attic observatory it had a hobby room attached and this made it easier for me to change, was not meant to be that way. I was saying to Tich earlier that the turning point came when I was unable to see the comet due to clouds and that gave me food for thought. I had already done some more work with the spare mount so I could do some solar work so not a disaster if a nice clear day, a wait and see situation :).

Jim

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read some good astro books. Stroke your nice telescope.

Olly

Good advice Olly- read a few astro books. I have read a few comet books this winter and learned a lot (the Oort Cloud should really be called the Opik Cloud!). I haven't resorted to stroking my scopes yet....

No chance of giving up for me. It has been a frustrating season, especially for imaging, but there have still been some massive highs. M51 at SGL8 is something I will never forget. And seeing the Horsehead for the first time still hasn't sunk in!

March was a cracking month last year - I think? Maybe this year its Aprils turn!

I clearly remember early last year looking up many times thinking 'I really must buy a telescope' as the skies were so clear alot of the time. In October I finally buy one & 'whumph', cloud, cloud & more poxy cloud!!!!! :mad: Or maybe I'm just more aware of them more?

Steve

clouds2.gifclouds1.gifcussing.gif

Blinking Heck, I've not even started. Probably not the best forum for me.

Out of interest though what do you guys do 360 days of the year when it's cloudy.

I'm new so read and research a lot but once you know most of it.......?

The weather is bound to change at some time.There's more than one lifetime's discoveries out there, and you're a long time dead :shocked:

Yes but some of us are getting on a bit,so worry a little bit more,we cant arord to wait too long.(LOL)

Out of interest though what do you guys do 360 days of the year when it's cloudy.

read, research...window shop, actual shop, tinker.. try to help other people on here if I can....read and research some more? :)

On that note, buy yourself a copy of Nortons Star Atlas. It's a fantastic reference book.

I catch up on my sleep. I can be in the observatory then data processing for 18 hours a day sometimes. Only the moon saves me from insanity (and you might well say that it hasn't done that very well either!! :grin: :grin:)

As for knowing most of astronomy - that will never happen...

Olly

Complain about the weather! And look at / buy expensive items that we won't be able to use because of the aforementioned. Right now I am trying very hard not to look at the 16" Lightbridge in the classifieds at the moment.

I would try to sell my ST80, but I suspect that nobody around these parts would buy it giving the current weather trends, and during the summer it may be a difficult sell too (especially if we have a repeat of last summer). Annoyingly, it is still the only true grab-and-go scope I own, the CG-4 is still a three-tripper from the house to the garden (at least).

With last summer being so bad and all the clouds this winter, even solar observing (which was my backup plan) has gone out of the window, only had the solar scope out about twice in twelve months.

Read, research, think up mods for our equipment, regrease mounts, flock scopes, buy and sell kit, complain about the clouds.. you know, the usual :D.

Posted this in the other thread so may as well c/p it here:

Yes, last March was awesome. Out in the garden in a t-shirt most of the night for 5 nights on the trot and my first (rubbish!) images of M51 and M101 as a result.

If I'd known then how "far" I would have progressed my imaging a year on I think I would have cried the whole week.

It's just been dire. I've put the hobby on the back burner and have stopped checking the forecasts every day. Not getting a single opportunity to look for PanStarrs yet has been the kicker. It really saddens me to admit it, but the weather's beaten me into submission.

I won't sell the kit yet, but another year like the last? Who knows.

I waited 40 years to get my first scope so I sure ain't giving up now . . . :p

I'm surprised that no-ones been sending me hate mail as the snow started just after I unpacked the new Mak180Pro and accessories ... it will clear up soon ... honest ... :rolleyes:

I think we all have moments of despair like this - I know I have with the current weather conditions (and those of the last year to be honest) - but although it is extremely unlikely that I have another 50 years to go (I wish!!) I have decided to take a more laid-back attitude to astronomy. I am going to simply make sure that I make better use of the good nights by being more prepared and not getting caught out by a sudden break in the clouds that represent an imaging opportunity. In fact, I'm investing more money in the hobby at the moment so that I have all I need for those good imaging nights and at the opposite end of my astronomy, late last year I bought a cheap and simple Altazimuth GoTo mount that I can pick up with one hand and carry out to the patio for a quick look with the eyepieces that I bought from the proceeds of the sale of some of my earlier equipment.

Yes, astronomy (and especially deep sky imaging) can be very, very frustrating with the UK /European weather but, Oh My, on those good nights, it is all so worthwhile!

I've had to sell some of my kit due to my finances, but have done my best to keep hold of the dob. Even if it doesn't get used that much. I love reading about the subject, and have other interests too. The clouds don't bother me as long as there are some clear nights - light pollution bothers me much more as I can only see a very small percentage of what I should be able to with a 10" scope. Whilst I would never give up on astronomy sometimes I wonder what is the point of owning any kit. Then I have a fantastic view of Jupiter, or panstarrs, or glimpse the horsehead at a star party.

Archived