NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC4725, the one armed bandit.

ollypenrice

Phew, I hope the rest of the galaxy season targets are not as difficult as this one! Cruising the net, Yves and I find ourselves in the small telescope class on this object. It's a curious one-armed galaxy, a Seyfert, at about 40 million LY so quite small on the sky. It also has a bar which is far more visible in terms of colour than luminance. Presumably the old Population 2 stars extend into the bar.

The other processing challenge arises from a large number of big bright field stars which try to dominate and have to be made to behave... :director:

FIrst night; 5.5 hours of L in 15 minute subs and poor seeing.

Second night, 6 hours of colour in 10 min subs and much better seeing. I should have reversed the capture nights but you can't know in advance.

Not enough data to present at full size but Hey-Ho.

SInce it's a Seyfert I'd have thought we should hunt for Ha...

Clockwise from NGC4725 at the bottom are NGC4747 with tidal tail, PGC86434 and NGC4727.

Yves' 14 inch ODK, Mesu Mount 200 and SXVH36 CCD.

Olly

NGC4725%20LRGB%2011HRS%20WEB4-XL.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice. Lovely colors and details if you ask me. :)

I could only dream of pics like this with my current setup and processing skills, but i've allready digged a hole in my wallet, so... xD

Very nice Olly, the companion galaxies really add to the widefield. That was the first galaxy I ever imaged from Les G. Its a wierd one, I like your description of it.

I managed to hook up the 8 inch Meade to my guide camera just to see if I could guide at 2m. I could, but the focus was terrible in the SCT. Fat stars, and no very good detail in the Sombrero. This long focal lenght galaxy hunting is difficult.

Very nice Olly, the companion galaxies really add to the widefield. That was the first galaxy I ever imaged from Les G. Its a wierd one, I like your description of it.

I managed to hook up the 8 inch Meade to my guide camera just to see if I could guide at 2m. I could, but the focus was terrible in the SCT. Fat stars, and no very good detail in the Sombrero. This long focal lenght galaxy hunting is difficult.

I remember your image and it became one of my favourite galaxies on the spot. Maurice has a nice one from last week, as well.

Olly

Archived