Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Heads-up..proper scope!

estwing

it looks nice but i dont think i'd want one and not just for price reasons, i would look at it as a work of art not a everyday use telescope then i would dread using it in case i damaged it in any way and finally my wife wouldnt let me spend that kinda money when i could get a nice comfy leather settee and a month in spain :eek:

thing is..what would that new dob be worth in 20 yrs?...some people just don't justify the price,thats ok..i love these,so i could. look at classic cars some of those aren't worth their money,are they??

thing is..what would that new dob be worth in 20 yrs?...some people just don't justify the price,thats ok..i love these,so i could. look at classic cars some of those aren't worth their money,are they??

I do not care what a 22" Dob would be worth in 20 years, because it would have given me priceless views of the heavens, much better than even the best 4" scope could. My scopes and kit are not an investment, they are tools. I have seen the odd C14, mounted on serious EQ mounts go for less than the amount asked for a 100mm semi APO (?) from the 1960s. Glass has progressed, optical technology has progressed. For every kind of observing I do (and for planetary imaging) a C14 will have the Zeiss 100mm scope beaten by miles.

Each to their own i suppose but as with others,i buy a scope to look through it at the stars and a 100mm zeiss scope however good would be a massive step below the £1000 scope i have now and a 22" dob would show thousands of galaxies that the zeiss scope never would and to me thats more important than the history of a scope.

Zeiss optics second to non, and this will still be a classic in years to come. And if my c63 is anything to go buy this scope will be alot better than you might think.

Just my opinion and I'm entitled to it. ;-).

That said if I had 8grand to spend it wouldn't be on a scope.

I hate to ask but why so much money, is it really that good. I have tried most Zeiss Binos, my wife used to sell them and I aways had a pair to hand, for the money I don't think they are that brilliant.

Alan.

I have the same question. Why is it so expensive? Is it just because it's an collector item.

For the price, I'd rather have a big dob, either that or several weeks in the deepest darkest depths of the Atacama when the E-ELT is finished. I do understand that Zeiss optics are second to non, but it would have an extremely difficult time beating a 39.3m telescope in some of the driest and darkest skies in the world.

It's a nice telescope

And maybe the most complete example of a zeiss four inch refractor telescope ,mount, and accesories out their. But it is only a four inch semi or half apochromat so it has half the ca of a four inch achromat .these day's coating technology has moved on from when this was made .and a good maker can figure a lens as well as zeiss ,at a fraction of the cost .And you can get better performance at a fraction of what this will cost.

So it's the name rarity and kudos that you are paying for ,like astrophysics refractors some apeture's are not and probably will not ever be made again ,hence on the used market they command a premium price you can get refractors of the same apeture and quality of manufacture ,but they don't have zeiss or astrophysics on them .

You can get much better bang for your bucks ,and apeture rules to a point .

But it's still a nice scope

Zeiss have always made sublime optics as have Leica (leitz) etc but regardless the prices they fetch are out of kilter nowadays.

Of course I'd love one but at a sensible price.

For the best part of £8K you can have an Tak 106 on a Mesu 200, alternatively (in a month or so - hopefully) an Esprit 150 on an EQ8.

How about a nice ODK10 on a Mesu?

I'm starting to day dream now :rolleyes::undecided::icon_scratch:

Archived