Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PANSTARRS - one week to go!

laser_jock99

Really usefull link

http://waitingforiso...omet-panstarrs/

COMPLETELY UPDATED: March 4th 2013

We’re now just over a week away from our first views of Comet PANSTARRS up here in the northern hemisphere. It’s been a long wait, and a frustrating one. We’ve had ups and downs – periods when the comet seemed to be on-track to be “another Hale-Bopp”, and periods when its rate of brightening seemed to be slowing so much it was destined to be so faint we’d need binoculars to see it. But it’s now looking VERY promising that PANSTARRS will be a lovely object in the evening up here north of the equator after all.......

Looks like the key to viewing PANSTARRS is going to be finding a good Western horizon to view from. My plan will be to find suitable sites this week, then carry camera & tripod in the car next week just in case it clears enough on the way home from work.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I have a clearish horizon view over the airport so it will be worth having a good look there, maybe I can go set up with the plane spotters.

Weather permitting of course.

Thanks for the heads up :smiley:

Thanks for the heads up. One more target on the observing list for SGL8....

Yep, one for Lucksall - my western horizon from home is patchy at best :rolleyes2:

I hope you get a decent chance for some viewing. I've had some good views down here (southern hemisphere).

I must admit I was quite pleased to be able to jump from Panstarrs across to Lemmon in both bin's and scope early in the morning.

Think I've got my obsering site sorted- I know a quiet lane that runs along the top of a ridge with a good low horizon. Just got to rember to pack the camera, tripod & binoculars (an pray the weather plays ball).

I found an old photo from the same site featuring Jupiter & Venus in the evening twighlight (I'm now trying to imagine a bright comet hanging there!)

Dscf5230.jpg

I hope you get a decent chance for some viewing. I've had some good views down here (southern hemisphere).

I must admit I was quite pleased to be able to jump from Panstarrs across to Lemmon in both bin's and scope early in the morning.

Jealous!

will be in fleetwood 16th and 17th march will this be viewable with bins or is it a scope job? [stellarium showing mag 1.4 and 6 degrees above horizon in pisces at 19.30 sunset 18.20

will be in fleetwood 16th and 17th march will this be viewable with bins or is it a scope job? [stellarium showing mag 1.4 and 6 degrees above horizon in pisces at 19.30 sunset 18.20

Naked eye according to reports from the Southern hemisphere. As it swings close to the sun and becomes visible to us Northern hemisphere viewers it might get still brighter due to solar heating.

Archived