Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PANSTARRS - one week to go!

laser_jock99

Clear this afternoon...........until just before sunset when dark Grey clouds and mist came piling in.

I've never seen so many manifestations of water vapour appear on such a short space of time.

Couple of gaps up near our Zenith, so had a quick look at Jupiter as it ndarkened then drove home in a sulk.

Guess who'll be trying again through?

Mick - In the anything but sunny saarf.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skies are clearing here now. Not hugely hopeful of seeing anything from here today though as it will only be around 5 deg above the horizon from my location this evening. If it's clear though I will have a go. Tuesday will prob be a better chance though :smiley:

Watching the sun go down here at the moment. Clouds about - but some good gaps and mostly clear to the west. Keeping my fingers crossed it stays clear through sunset, but with the comet being so low as seen from here I'm a little doubtful of seeing it today. Will update after sunset

Currently blue skies here too (although snowing, which I find irritating) so I'm going to head up high onto the fells after sunset and see if I can spot anything. Might stand a chance as the Lake District lies due west of me, so no light pollution to contend with....unless something goes very wrong at Sellafield.

I'm in Tenerife presently and although the weather is good there is to much cloud scudding around in the early evening to have any chance of seeing anything.

Tonight isn't looking promising at all.

Currently blue skies here too (although snowing, which I find irritating) so I'm going to head up high onto the fells after sunset and see if I can spot anything. Might stand a chance as the Lake District lies due west of me, so no light pollution to contend with....unless something goes very wrong at Sellafield.

I'm at around 250 feet and the view to the west is mostly over Lough Neagh so a generally flat horizon. Good look with you attempt today!

I'm at around 250 feet and the view to the west is mostly over Lough Neagh so a generally flat horizon. Good look with you attempt today!

Thanks, although just realised light pollution isn't really a factor at all compared to the fact that it's dusk! I'm heading out now.

Just back from an attempt. Some cloud on the horizon limited the view to the west. Couldn't find it. The sky was quite bright and I'm not used to scanning for objects that low. Also found that once the sun was below the horizon it was difficult to work out where exactly the comet might be in relation to the sun.

Same for me here as well. The sky above my head was clear as anything but heavy cloud persisted on the western horizon for ages, by the time it cleared considerably the comet was only 3 degrees above the horizon and well below the roofline of the houses. I spent ages on the front trying to get a glimpse with the binoculars and it was bitterly cold out there. I'll try again tomorrow but Wednesday is looking the most promising on the BBC forecast, but we all know how accurate that is right :rolleyes:

I'll try again tomorrow but Wednesday is looking the most promising on the BBC forecast, but we all know how accurate that is right :rolleyes:

It'll be spot-on for Wednesday night.

How do I know this? Because I'll be stuck on a damn train coming up from Sevenoaks :mad: :mad: :mad:

Yeah, failed miserably to spot the comet this evening. Same thing as the rest of you - pesky cloud on the western horizon and some light snow to contend with. Yet crisp, clear patches of sky above me! The bitterly cold wind tried it's best to end the session early! I tried my best with my binos but just couldn't find it today.

Think it was always going to be challenging from this latitude today. This is really the first possible chance you could have had to spot it from parts of the UK and it was always going to be a challenge. Look forward to trying again on Mon / Tues / Wed when it will hopefully be just that bit higher in the sky.

Archived