NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PANSTARRS - one week to go!

laser_jock99

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw it again tonight from the same hill-top location, even clearer than last night though quite a chilling wind which was making my eyes water. Took the ST80 which gave great views using 25mm and 10mm, 25mm probably the best though. With longer observing more of the tail became evident in the 25mm. My dad came up with me this time for a look, a unique event to tick off the list - 'View a comet with my dad'! Pleased as punch. :D

Had another go looking for this but not knowing my night sky I was looking in the wrong place, seeing its more north I went to a different location but what a view I had I took a picture of were I thought it was with a 60mm macro lens and found I was miles out I was looking in and around M45, going up again tonight if it stay clear and putting the Thermals on this time it still had snow on them there hills LOL

Jim

Had another go looking for this but not knowing my night sky I was looking in the wrong place, seeing its more north I went to a different location but what a view I had I took a picture of were I thought it was with a 60mm macro lens and found I was miles out I was looking in and around M45, going up again tonight if it stay clear and putting the Thermals on this time it still had snow on them there hills LOL

Jim

Hi Jim

If you're not sure of your night sky or clouds are covering some of the constellations it's worth taking a compass out with you and take a bearing of around 330-340 degrees. If you look one or two binocular fields above the horizon you should find it easily next to M31 for the next few nights from arounf 10am. I'm near Rochdale and was out imaging it Tuesday night from the south side of Blackstone Edge and last night from Edenfield Road below Scout Moor wind farm. Not perfect but the LP is a bit less up there. ***** freezing though!

Pete

Hi Jim

If you're not sure of your night sky or clouds are covering some of the constellations it's worth taking a compass out with you and take a bearing of around 330-340 degrees. If you look one or two binocular fields above the horizon you should find it easily next to M31 for the next few nights from arounf 10am. I'm near Rochdale and was out imaging it Tuesday night from the south side of Blackstone Edge and last night from Edenfield Road below Scout Moor wind farm. Not perfect but the LP is a bit less up there. ***** freezing though!

Pete

Oops - that should be 10pm!!!

Thanks Pete, I called up again and took the wife’s compass to make sure I was facing the correct way this time, I had time to have a good look around and found a few things before it got dark, sadly it was cloudy in the direction of the comet but I did manage to see it for a few minutes, I was surprised how big it was in my binoculars “CarlZeiss Jenoptem 10x50w” sadly to much cover to get the 400mm lens on it, but now I know were it is there is always tomorrow night :)

This was just past the Whitehouse Pub and just past the Res going down towards Mytholmroyd

I did try finding it on Edenfield Road next to the Owd Betts pub about two weeks back but it was to cloudy but I did get a nice sunset picture lol

Jim

Are you using special dslr camera to cature this , i really want a photo but my standard digital cemera cant pick it up :( ?

All I use is a Nikon D50 or a Nikon D90 myself, these aren't particularly special, in fact they're quite old really.

You might find it's the lens that is your problem. What're you using?

This is what it looks like (7th April) in my 12" scope.

DSIR6707_1024_zps33eabca3.jpg

From a dark sky site it is naked eye visible, about the same as the M31 Galaxy.

That's a great shot. :)

With that much detail i'm surprised to see how it appears. In all my widefield shots I would've thought the tail was brightest coming out of the top.

Possibly it's due to light pollution for me. The north and the west are the worst sources for light pollution for me. All my dark-sites are good for facing south.

I've manged to pick up Panstarrs again tonight. Not looking too impressive now having faded to around 6th magnitude. Well past it's best but nice to see again anyway, if only to say cheerio !

I've manged to pick up Panstarrs again tonight. Not looking too impressive now having faded to around 6th magnitude. Well past it's best but nice to see again anyway, if only to say cheerio !

Yeah - not as bright as I hoping for either. Last time I saw it with the naked eye it was close to M31 and about as bright. Hoping for a better show with ISON.

Up in Casiopea now,

Round about mag 9 and a bit,( faiding quicker than predicted in some cases) but at least now I can get my reflector on to it.

My best views were through my small, 8cm refractor with 10 and 6 mm lenses from perched on my back garden wall, as

the faintness, hazy skies and a growing moon have hampered the big scope since the Comet got high enough.

Due to work and the weather etc I have not been able to take the big scope out to higher/clearer ground, but I have enjoyed

our visitor when it was possible to see it.

Mick IOW

Sounds like I may well have missed my chance. Last night was my first opportunity for a couple of weeks. Using Stellarium I spent around an hour scanning around with the 26mm. I wasn't really sure what I was looking for and probably passed over it several times without realising it. I'll keep trying. You never know, but it sounds like it's fading fast, like my chances of spotting it!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk HD

Might just try once more to spot it, I find its going to be about midway between the horizon and Polaris around 22.30pm tonight.

The last time I saw it, Jason, there was no brightness to it its just a dull looking cloud.

Jim

Archived