Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PANSTARRS - one week to go!

laser_jock99

If Stellarium is correct, Panstarrs will be following the sun as it sets, so a good view of the western horizon will be a must, I think.

I think we have 1 hour or so after the sun sets to see it. That's if we want to see it at its brightest next week. After that it rises higher and later but getting fainter all the time. I'm preparing myself for some major frustration. Mainly with the weather.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was setting 15 mins after sol from today, (post Perigee) and we may get a good enough separation by the 9th (Perihelion) to get over half an hour

perhaps at it. I will put my gear into the car the next few days and start heading off to Boniface down on the southern tip of the isle of Wight after work each eve and on Saturday

after (or during) the rugby - weather permitting.

Got a good look at Mc Naught the other year from there so I know its a goodun. Clear skies to all

Mick

Think I've got my obsering site sorted- I know a quiet lane that runs along the top of a ridge with a good low horizon. Just got to rember to pack the camera, tripod & binoculars (an pray the weather plays ball).

I found an old photo from the same site featuring Jupiter & Venus in the evening twighlight (I'm now trying to imagine a bright comet hanging there!)

I'm presuming that's from your Warwickshire base? Will you get a chance to look from Powys? I'm thinking there should be some perfect sites around Mach area. Are you familiar with the (?) Vaughan Thomas Viewing point? Should be about awesome from there.

I'm afraid the weather don't look brilliant for any part of the country right up to Sunday. There are a number of weak fronts coming and going that look like giving a lot of cloud :(

Some will get lucky though. It's too far out to put any detail on it so don't believe and location specific detailed forecasts for next week. It could be absolutely anything right now!

I'm hoping to get some good Views from Tenerife. I'm even thinking about taking my better (not great, just better) camera just in case!

I'm looking forward to seing this. Fingers crossed for clear skies. I'm right on the coast so I will have a good view point.

Could everybody on the Isle of Man turn their lights off please to reduce the light pollution.... :grin:

I'm heading on holiday to Gran Canaria (Maspalomas) for the week starting at perihelion. Bringing my 70mm refractor on cut-down porta-mini, and the hyperion zoom+2.25 barlow. As well, I'm bringing my camera with 50mm f1.8 lens, hopefully I can get a nice sunset timelapse that might catch the comet as it sets...

Knowing my luck though it'll be hazy/cloudy in GC and clean and clear at home..

BBC weather is showing solid cloud (With rain and fog) from now until the end of next week.

I study weather models (GFS and ECMWF) via online websites. I can tell you that they are currently showing very clear conditions for next week :-

1. The 500mb GFS ensemble chart shows air pressure rising to 1030mb over the UK next week = settled weather

2. Next Mon / Tues shows 850mb temps of -13c or so over the UK. This usually indicates very cold weather (but also usually very dry air).

3. The charts show dew points down to around -7c to -10c over the UK early next week = very dry and clear conditions usually.

I see the chance over some cloudier conditions in the middle of next week (particularly Thurs) but after that it dries up again for next weekend.

Stil a while away and all could change, but at the moment I would say there is a high chance of a cold week next week with mostly clear skies for most people

from Monday to Wednesday, Thurs a bit cloudy, with Friday to next Sunday being brighter again.

I'm hopeful of seeing PANSTARRS!

p.s. The low dew points should hopefully help give clearer views low down on the horizon.

I'm presuming that's from your Warwickshire base? Will you get a chance to look from Powys? I'm thinking there should be some perfect sites around Mach area. Are you familiar with the (?) Vaughan Thomas Viewing point? Should be about awesome from there.

The Vaughan Thomas site is about a mile from my house- not sure how good the South West horizon is from there (more to the North West?). Our biggest problem is going to be the weather I feel? I want to be ready to view Panstarrs at the drop of hat - wherever I am. Hence binoculars & camera in the car for the rest of the month.

Well I still say that next week will be mostly a sunny week. The latest model runs still suggest so. Especially the further north and west you are in the UK.

Southern counties of England (south of London) are at risk of some snow early in the week (mostly Monday).

I stil think that for the majority of people north of that line the chances of seeing the comet next week due to decent enough weather is pretty high at this stage.

If you are interested in checking this out for yourself, go here :-

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsavneur.html

Click on the links next to "Mittl. Wolken" which will show you images with predicted cloud amounts. Black over the UK indicates clear skies. Click the links "72" and onwards to see from Tues next week. Note that these are the same weather models that the official forecast authorities (inc. the BBC) use. It's just that it takes time for the weather presenters to filter that info through to the public as they want to be sure before broadcasting it to the public.

I'm just hoping we get to see it when bright enough to see the detail in the tails and coma.

All I,m getting at present is Stratocumulus and and wet hair.

Good luck to all at the IOW star party this weekend

Mick

Been researching with the maps a good place to see it, but difficult when you don't know the locale very well. Looks like more exploring to find high ground that has a good westerly view.

Fingers crossed!!

All my hopes are pinned on a favorable weather forecast for Tuesday evening. Going to finish work early so i can get to the spot with a decent western horizon in plenty of time. Please let the forecast hold!

Archived