Hi from WWScotland

WWScotland

Hi to everyone on here. Im relatively new to Stargazing, new hobby, combined with photography. Based in Scotland, just north of Dundee.

Curently have a Tasco 302012 but have read that its not the best. It was cheap off a certain auction site.

Looking at another scope, a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. Whats everyones opinion on that scope.

Also can anyone tell me what size the eyepiece is on that scope as I would like to utilise my 58mm to 1.25" camera adapter if possible.

Regards,

WWScotland

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi WW and welcome to SGL from a fellow Scot.

Most scopes come with 1.25 eyepiece holders so think you should be ok but if I'm wrong I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will put you right.

Cheers.

Welcome to SGL

If you're interested in astrophotography I'd suggest the first thing you buy is a copy of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count". It will give you a good idea of what you need to think about.

The 130mm newtonian telescopes nearly all seem to have problems reaching focus with cameras so I'd avoid that one if you want to be able to do that. This one wouldn't have a problem, but I'm not convinced that's the best way to go for what you want to do. I'd read the book first.

James

Hi WWScotland welcome to SGL, if your serious about Astrophotography then you need to make sure you ask as many question and read as much as you can before you buy.

it will save you alot of money in the long run, good luck.

Hi and welcome to the forum. Agree with James above regarding Steve's book and is in my view essential reading if you want to get off to the right start. Imaging isn't difficult although like many interests there is a steep learning curve at the beginning. For visual use the scope is fine but like many scopes at this price point, the mounts are a little 'twitchy' and so I would recommend that for visual work , to take a look at the dobsonian range of scopes such as this one or even this one which is the U.K's best selling telescope and represents great value for money. Imaging puts different demands on kit and so its not really possible to buy a one-fits-all solution.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived