New to the forum

kerrylewis

I've been interested in astronomy since I was a schoolboy (now i'm retired!) . After a few years with a 100mm skywatcher refractor I have just treated myself to a Celestron 9.25 SCT. I'm still using my HEQ5 mount which works fine for the basics but I must confess I have never been too successful with the Goto function as far as any accuracy is concerned. Any advice?

But the new scope is great although there haven't been all that many good nights since it arrived. I have managed to see a transit of Io and its shadow across Jupiter which I have never seen before. My chief interest is the planets which are possible even from my light polluted town site. I'm going to get up to see Saturn when the forecast looks good.

I don't like the finder much on the scope - does anyone have any experience of upgrading it?

Other equipment- Canon IS bins for general use and a Williams Optics 70mm for the sun and portable use. I also have an array of eyepieces including my favourite Radian 6mm

So, I've only just retired and am now looking forward to some serious observing - just bring on some decent weather.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

As regards the GOTO accuracy you might find more help if you explain the problem in one of the equipment sections. It's not uncommon to replace the finder with a Telrad or a larger optical finder (or both), or even a 60mm or 70mm OTA. If the latter appeals then it might again be worth asking in one of the equipment sections about what people have used and how they've fixed it to the main OTA.

James

Archived