Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi everyone!

chrislj74

I've been looking for some astronomy forums that are current and I finally found one. Most info I seem to find on Google is 7+ years old. Anyway, I just recently bought basically my first "good" scope for my daughter and I for Christmas. I chose an Orion XT6 Classic Dobsonian. I made my decision a bit impatiently on this scope since I, at the time, did not think anything of astrophotography. Now that I have it and have a taste for what I've seen so far, I want to do astrophography. I now know the dobsonian isn't the choice for photography but I have plans on either an equatorial mount or an equatorial platform. I will say that I have successfully photographed the moon on several occasiions and some relatively low magnification Jupiter shots. But but nothing with any length of exposure since I'd really love to see some deep space objects even if my scope isn't very capable.

I also bought my dad's old Nikon D40x and made a "barn door mount". I have yet to use it as I am awaiting a ball head for it. But it is set up and it tracks fairly well based on some short tests. Once I have a ball head I can really test it out.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan on picking up a Dolica GX600B200 Proline tripod. I need a tripod for my barn door and DSLR, plus I get the added benefit of a detachable ball head. I figured it was a good move to get the best of both worlds from a single product.

Hi Chrislj74 and welcome to SGL. This really is the best forum with plenty of people willing to help you with good advice and everyone is so friendly too, enjoy your scope and the night sky,kev

Hi Chris and welcome to SGL, interesting your Barn Door project, I have one in progress, although its only completed the drawing board stage, but I have acquired a 12V DC 1 RPM motor from the States and a universal 0.25" drive coupling and a quantity of 8mm bore precision roller races and other bits, I am working on an electro / mechanical device of the Trott version four, which is reputed to give good tracking in excess of 1.5 hours. Scope N Skies do reasonably priced ball head camera fittings if you are stuck, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Welcome to SGL

If you're interested in astrophotography I'd recommend first having a read of Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count". It should give you a good idea of what you're getting yourself into :)

James

Archived