boyfromlincs

hi all, i have been interested in star gazing for many years but have never gotten round to getting a scope having always used bins, now that im after one its making my little brain hurt deciding what to get, from what i have read some of the best for the money are dobsonians and the size im interested in would be a 200mm, any other suggestions and help deciding on what to get would be great..

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi BFL, welcome to the forum!

Good luck with your choice of scope! It depends on what you intend to use it for - i.e. observation only, planetary photography, deep space photography etc.

I'm sure someone better equipped to help will be along soon to give some advice.

Welcome to SGL boyfromlincs

the 8" Dobsonian is a great allrounder and easy to set-up and use as well as being exceptional value for money.

If you prefer lunar and solar system then a TAL 100RS on a suitable mount will take some beating.

ask away on the forum for answers

Welcome to SGL

The 200P dobsonian is very hard to beat for the money, but it's really a visual instrument. Imaging generally means you need to make compromises when it comes to visual use however and can end up getting quite expensive.

James

thanks for the welcome, im only interested in observing the skies, if there is one thing im really interested in its the moon, but also to look at other planets and stars, i was thinking about the 200 dob as it gets really good reviews and with some better lenses would only get better, i also wear glasses so would need to choose carefully as some of my friends eyepieces are to small to get near with glasses on, and i think im right in saying the lenses he had were what came with his celestron scope..

thanks for the welcome, im only interested in observing the skies, if there is one thing im really interested in its the moon, but also to look at other planets and stars, i was thinking about the 200 dob as it gets really good reviews and with some better lenses would only get better, i also wear glasses so would need to choose carefully as some of my friends eyepieces are to small to get near with glasses on, and i think im right in saying the lenses he had were what came with his celestron scope..

In theory at least I think you should be able to observe without glasses unless you have astigmatism. But if you have problems, there are ranges of eyepieces with longer eye relief to make it easier.

I'd not be surprised if you found that pretty much all the Celestron and Skywatcher scopes come with the same kit eyepieces.

James

Hi and welcome to the forum. In the absence of any budget, I would certainly recommend the 200p Dob as it will serve you well on both planetary and deep sky objects (DSO's). Tracking and Goto are great additions to have but of course this comes at a price.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum

James

Hi Boyfromlincs welcome to SGL, good luck choosing a telescope, my head hurt too trying to decide, you have made a good choice upto now but it wont hurt

to ask the question again in the getting started thread as most members probably dont visit this section of the forum.

Hi BFL Normally with any 200mm Dob you can slide the 1.25" eyepiece adaptor out by loosening the finger screws and this allows you to fit 2" eyepices, with these EP's the eye relief is usually greater which means you can use them with or without glasses. More experience observers aquire 2" EP's over time and become the prefered items.

Dave

Archived