Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

wow its arrived and bigger than i thought.

any new watchers reading this learn from me if you can go to a shop and have a look at the scope and mount you intend on buying. Lol

So my 200p explorer and eq5 came today and Im dumbfounded how heavy and big everything is. I really wasn't expecting it to be so big

Firstly ebay seller was a good un top condition and fair play to him for packaging it all up for me How he managed that I'll never know.

It is a stunning bit of kit but I've stressed myself out a bit today getting things balanced and set ready hopefully for first light tonight. Its been hard work with my broken ankle and it looks like its clouding over now too lol..

Im not 100% sure if I've done the right thing by buying such a monster as my first scope but i suppose I'll not be wanting to upgrade for a good while.. It looks like the only possible thing for me to do is get a smaller scope for travelling as even when my ankle heals i wouldn't fancy lugging this thing up the Welsh mountains to a dark site...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting a mount tomorrow hopefully and then a 8" scope the day after. I was looking at a vid on YouTube and was also a bit shocked by the size of it and I've also got one leg in a cast presently! So I'll be thinking of you setting it up, as I'll be in a very similar boat in a couple of days! :grin:

keep us updated with how it goes.

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when I bought my very first scope (Orion XT8 Intellescope). I bought it without seeing one in the flesh first. When It arrived I was amazed at the size of it. I have a very small house and accommodating something the size of a missile launcher wasn't possible, so I sent it back and bought a Nexstar 127 SLT. Far more manageable and easier to store. The missus was much happier.

Fast forward to now and we had a bespoke sideboard made a couple of months ago in our living room with a huge cupboard to accommodate all my telescope gear, including my latest C9.25 CG5 combo. When it is all put away you wouldn't know I was into astronomy, as everything is concealed in the cupboard. In fact I am thinking of holding a party in there at some point since it is that big. :wink: :wink: :wink:

LOL I know exactly how you feel, I went with my brother to buy his and we couldnt believe the size of it. Im sure if he hadnt paid for it he might have chages his mind, his wifes face was a picture when we turned up with it. However, it is an excellent scope.

To sparkyjon,I hope you have great fun with the scope, this is off topic but will help in the long run, your broken ankle will heal 8 times faster if you eat ginger in your foods. This will speed up your healing therefore you will b able to move the scope better sooner. I ope this helps. I know this fact because of my job ( I am an osteopath ), and I treat broken bones.

John

cheers for that tip jon. strangely enough i just ate 3 slice of Jamaican ginger cake, no link i just like it,,

as for the scope yes i'm sure i'll get used to it , i think i'm a little dissapointed it's not as easy to move around as i thought it would be meaning with this ankle i most certainly cant use this on my own.. i'll just have to wait i guess.. might be able to get a window view from upstairs that will do for now..

good luck to all that are expecting the same set up , i'm sure you like me will end up loving the 200p.....

sorry John i have a habit of spelling Jon my way..

for those who want a reference of size you can see my crutch sitting next to the tripod , the leg is thicker than my crutches , this picture still doesn't do it any justice for size.

IMG-20130115-WA0002.jpg

Nice one my friend- sounds like you got yourself a good un !!!

First time I saw a 200P at the Widescreen center it blew me away with its size and I thought, no waay is that going to even fit in my car( nissan micra!!)- since upgraded the car though and its now on my shopping list for April 2013- got xmas to pay for first :grin: ..

Looking forward to your first report,,,

I used to have one. It's a great scope and you will soon get used to it - just hope your ankle doesn't give you too much grief! I remember the first time I saw a 300p on an EQ6 - that would be a step too far for me to set up.

will do John , the wife is helping and it looks like it's going to have to be collapsed loads then rebuilt if i can get outside, although i wont be going out in this cold me ankle will be in agony, i have plates in there and they'll act like a heatsink probably lol..

Hi,

Your post made me smile and has brightened my day no end :laugh: (not you ankle I hasten to add :eek: )

After several years of only using bins, I’m now very seriously considering buying a scope and a exp.200 on an eq5 is high on the list

(but then that said the list keep altering as my headache increases :eek: )

I have see several posts that have all expressed massive shock about the size of this setup and to be honest on line they all look very much the same to me!!

As for the pictures in magazines... they just don’t help either.... as are the comments from the HEQ5 /EQ6 owners club with their reminiscing comments along

the lines of “when I was a boy I remember those little eq5’s” (I’m kidding chaps :grin: ) even looking at youtube clips would hardly seems to do it justice,

what with some bloke from brumm saying... ohh this is a bit eavy... in between the shots of seeing his latest dvd player and flat screen combo :grin:

Seriously though If there is one thing I have learnt it’s that the mount is key... get the best rock solid one you can... as it will benefit you greatly

(would a 200 be any good on something smaller? I doubt it) ... but where is the line between this and portability? :shocked:

Also there are the thoughts of “future proofing” to contend with, don’t want something that in a short time will need upgrading.

Oh boy the headache is back...

So I would say well done son!! you’ve taken the plunge and got it and when your fit and able just get out there and enjoy it, :laugh:

all accounts point to this setup being well worth having...not only that think of the physio benefits involved in moving it around!!

Yes and that said “our mountains” are steep.... baaa!!

The next burning issue I have to ask is... just where are you going to store it????

oh yes...

ps... No offence intended to blokes on you tube from the Birmingham area :grin:

Hi Sparkyjon, that's a great scope you have there, congratulations! Before I had my stroke I could break it down and rebuild it in 5 minutes, gosh, I miss those days. This size scope is where DSO's begin to pop. Fantastic views to be had all round, don't worry you won't regret it. Don't forget to set your latitude before using it, you only have to set it once, and have fun!

sorry John i have a habit of spelling Jon my way..

for those who want a reference of size you can see my crutch sitting next to the tripod , the leg is thicker than my crutches , this picture still doesn't do it any justice for size.

IMG-20130115-WA0002.jpg

I have a similar view in the lounge including a knackered leg but missing the telescope, that's still to show.

Archived