Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

"Making Every Photon Count" Steve Richards

ubertank

This is far from the first and certainly not to be the last glowing review of this book, but I felt I had to do the man a service and post my high recommendations.

ANYBODY giving consideration to investing in astrophotography needs to read this book. Within an hour of reading it has answered many questions that had been floating around in my head for some time.

It's very well thought out, very well written and accompanied with great images and diagrams. Everything is clearly understandable to the beginner astronomer and goes all the way to advanced techniques and advice. It is incredibly comprehensive.

Just fantastic.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree with the above comments. If imaging is your goal, this book is essential reading in my view and I never tire of recommending it. Congratulations Steve on its comprehensiveness and thank you ubertank for reminding everyone of how useful this book is.

Clear skies

James

Bought the book as well...its a goldmine of information and is a must have item..as already pointed out in this thread , Steve has came up through the ranks with scopes and equipment available to us all starting out....Steve is a true modest gentleman and a pleasure to speak to.

Thanks for all your help...Davy

Probably the most use of £20 you'll get in this game! I too read the book cover to cover when I first got it, then re-read it once I had a few more pieces of equipment and understood a little more of it, now I refer to it regularly!

Steve,

I server as a moderator on the subreddit /r/astrophotography at Reddit. Your book has been recommended by several UK readers over there, and some have suggested we make it a permanent reference on the sidebar or in the FAQ for that community.

Is there a US source for the book we can point our US users toward?

And a great big +1 for the E-Book idea as well!

Thanks in advance!

Amazing book. Best £20 I've spent on this hobby of mine. Well done Steve.

+1 for a US version - the yanks will learn to spell colour by the end of it!

Only thing with an eBook is the piracy worry - not really sure we can get around it. I think the majority of people in this community are honest however.

Only thing with an eBook is the piracy worry - not really sure we can get around it.

Sadly, that's my worry too.

Is there a US source for the book we can point our US users toward?

Unfortunately, there isn't a US source at present (although I have been approached by a major publisher in the last fortnight about this but it is very early days). The book can be purchased directly from me on a signed for delivery service but this postage cost is quite expensive. I am considering changing the postal method to normal 'packet' so will happily get it ouch with you if I take this route. Thank you for your enquiry.

• 2 weeks later...

A quarter of all books sold on Amazon today are e-books. That's all well and good - for a while... I have so many books that once belonged to my late father. Will we one day pass on a Kindle device??

That's perhaps a silly sidetrack in a larger debate, but I for one believe in books, proper books. Making Every Photon Count is a proper book.

/Jesper

That's perhaps a silly sidetrack in a larger debate, but I for one believe in books, proper books.

And me. Other than the house I've probably spent more on my collection of books than anything else I own :)

James

As a newbie, without a telescope yet, I came on here less than 2 weeks ago and was referred to this book as well as lots of additional great user advice. The book arrived yesterday, and after reading through I compounded my confidence in what I thought I would order as an indulgent 1st go at Astronomy. My primary purpose is viewing but as a keen photography (very amateur) I would like to get into Astrophotography at some time, if not immediately for single frame shots at least. Anyway, after consulting my new "excellent" book, I couldn't help but order an Alt-AZ EQ6 GEQ mount with a 250PDS OTA. The information in the book was so clear, it provided great detail that helped me decide upon that universal solution, but anyone looking at obtaining an "alt-az only" capable mount, read this book and you'll understand that may not provide the platform necessary depending on exactly what you want to get from this hobby and in particular astrophotography. Nice one Steve -- clears skies to all (hopefully this weekend as I expect delivery tomorrow - Friday :laugh: ) .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived