Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Got a nice big scope :)

After weeks of humming and hawing, I finally took delivery of a scope today that some of you may have seen, looked through, or even owned. It's Big Blue, a 22" dobsonian with Argo Navis and Servocat for a goto function.

Will be modding my observatory to fit it tomorrow, so here's hoping for some clear skies.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nice mate looks excellent. is it rannoch in perthshire you stay ? if so lovely dark skies there have been to rannoch moor at corrour and up by pitlochry and tummel bridge lovely country and the skies are simply epic

nice mate looks excellent. is it rannoch in perthshire you stay ? if so lovely dark skies there have been to rannoch moor at corrour and up by pitlochry and tummel bridge lovely country and the skies are simply epic

Yes mate, 14 miles past Kinloch Rannoch on the way to Rannoch Station on left side loch, it is very nice but more so in summer lol

Scope is in Edinburgh just now so i can get used to it first

Nice :smiley:

I've looked through a 20" and the views were stunning - they stay with you for a long time !

I am used to a 12" Meade SCT, now gone, and I have only had a look through a 16" dobsonian once so I'm not quite sure what to expect in the new scope.

Hopefully find out soon.

I am used to a 12" Meade SCT, now gone, and I have only had a look through a 16" dobsonian once so I'm not quite sure what to expect in the new scope.

Hopefully find out soon.

The scope I viewed with was a David Lukehurst 20" which was around F/4-ish I think. You just needed a short step to reach the eyepiece at zenith. M13 completely filled the field of view and was resolved right into the core - it seemed to be "crawling" with stars, M51 was superb with the full spiral structure on show and quite intricate details and textures showing in the arms. No averted vision needed - it was right "in your face".

These scopes are huge though - the one I looked through appeared as large as a small car in the dark !

Sounds great john, that's what I'm hoping for, I'll have a look at M31 and M51 first, the scope was built up earlier and it's big, I have a proper pair of steps for now but I'll need to purchase another pair soon.

I saw Big Blue at Kelling last autumn - it sure looks awesome and I was on the verge of putting in an offer when I saw it on ABS a couple of weeks ago. I had a look through a couple of other large appertures at Kelling (18" and 20" Lukehurst dobs) for the first time - can't believe the level of detail - my eyepieces were singing and dancing they've never worked so good lol. Anyway congrats - it'll keep you off the streets for years I reckon - very nice purchase. :)

I saw Big Blue at Kelling last autumn - it sure looks awesome and I was on the verge of putting in an offer when I saw it on ABS a couple of weeks ago. I had a look through a couple of other large appertures at Kelling (18" and 20" Lukehurst dobs) for the first time - can't believe the level of detail - my eyepieces were singing and dancing they've never worked so good lol. Anyway congrats - it'll keep you off the streets for years I reckon - very nice purchase. :)

Thanks, I was looking for a big dob for a while, I thought about a 16" or 18" early last year, a 20" was on eBay a good few months back, then as you mentioned, Big Blue appeared on ABS, I spoke to a very helpful previous owner a few times, that more or less made up my mind to get it, having goto was a major factor also.

If I didn't live under such bad light pollution I'd have got me a similar size scope too. Really make Messier objects look amazing and fish up a whole heap of faint stuff! Also attracts a lot of people at star parties!

Enjoy!

PeterW

I'm thinking eventually a 16 Inch Dob to be permanantly housed in my back garden. To date I've only seen through an 8 and 12 Inch Dob - 22 Inch diametre in gorgeous black skies that must be as good as it gets for amature astronomers - congratulations and have a great time with your new kit.

I can't begin to imagine how good the views are through something that big. And GOTO as well. A real space machine.

My Father-in-Law is planning to move to Loch Tummel, so he'll seeing more of us in the future.......I remember seeing my first really dark sky there 30 years ago....

Amazing.

Let's hope the freaking rain and clouds give it a rest soon.......getting beyond a joke now.

I know Linton Guise but have never met Big Blue. Feel free to bring it down here for some dark sky time in the summer when Scotland's not dark. :grin: :grin: :grin: (Ever the optimist...)

It must be a fine scope though.

Olly

Cheers Olly, I'll keep it mind :D

If I didn't live under such bad light pollution I'd have got me a similar size scope too. Really make Messier objects look amazing and fish up a whole heap of faint stuff! Also attracts a lot of people at star parties!

Enjoy!

PeterW

Cheers, I may bring it to a star party, probably next year.

Wow.. :Envy:

A Cheshire cat comes to mind, what a scope and what a place for it to live.

Dark skies but a lot of cloud, been like that for weeks, hopefully it will clear soon :D

I'm thinking eventually a 16 Inch Dob to be permanantly housed in my back garden. To date I've only seen through an 8 and 12 Inch Dob - 22 Inch diametre in gorgeous black skies that must be as good as it gets for amature astronomers - congratulations and have a great time with your new kit.

Thanks mate, I had a look through a 16" not so long ago and it was very good, I'm expecting a big leap over my previous scope.

Nice one. That's a beauty of a Dob, enjoy :)

Cheers, need to go through my eyepiece collection now lol

I can't begin to imagine how good the views are through something that big. And GOTO as well. A real space machine.

My Father-in-Law is planning to move to Loch Tummel, so he'll seeing more of us in the future.......I remember seeing my first really dark sky there 30 years ago....

Amazing.

Let's hope the freaking rain and clouds give it a rest soon.......getting beyond a joke now.

Loch Tummel is awesome, apart from the midges in the summer lol, they are much worse further up towards Rannoch Station,

Have you got a picture of it? Neeeed to see it :wub:

Have got some pics of it but not built up, will post up later on tonight.

Congratulations Mert! The views through that baby will be mighty impressive :smiley:

Thanks, hoping so, need to get used to a step ladder also.

Archived