NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Got a nice big scope :)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So do I, I bought my dob from him, a very nice chap. You should see his observatory. There appears to be telescopes everywhere in his house, he even had a OO 14 inch dob in his toilet, I couldn't believe it. I have seen this scope in bits but not assembled, I am surprised he sold it.

He is a very nice chap :)

Congrats on the big dob most impressive !!!!! I was very tempted to sell a kidney to try and get that myself when it was sat in UK B&S. I have to admit I was a little concerned it would test my EP's to the limit with out a paracorr. What is the F ratio ? I assumed it to be real fast given how short the scope is ??

Blimey thats not bad at all. My 250PX was an F/4.8 and that was quite good on EP's. So that would make the focal length 2,692.8mm which wouldn't be too much hard work either giving the views you'll be getting. Result !!!

I now just need a decent pair of step ladders :)

I seem to recall that scope being put together by Arthur Edwards of Ambermille Engineering. I've seen pictures of it on here before but quite a few years back.

It looks lovely in that photo :smiley:

I seem to recall that scope being put together by Arthur Edwards of Ambermille Engineering. I've seen pictures of it on here before but quite a few years back.

It looks lovely in that photo :smiley:

Thanks for the info, I hope to get it built tonight and leave it up, ready to pull out when it's clear, I have someone working on a low sturdy trolley it can sit in at all times.

I now just need a decent pair of step ladders :)

To be fair I use steps with my EQ mounted Reflector rather than messing rotating the OTA so it's not like steps don't come in handy anyway in astronomy. Just have to remember to pay attention to the feet so you don't end up with a pair that end up sinking in the soft dew ridden ground ;)

To be fair I use steps with my EQ mounted Reflector rather than messing rotating the OTA so it's not like steps don't come in handy anyway in astronomy. Just have to remember to pay attention to the feet so you don't end up with a pair that end up sinking in the soft dew ridden ground ;)

Good tip, still not chosen steps yet, i need some paving stones laid, a job for the summer.

Sent mobile

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my shed converted to hold the scope, it will be left built up, I fitted Foot Master leveling castors yesterday so it can be wheeled out and in, the castors have a leveling pad that can be adjusted for stability, just need some clear nights as do we all.

My uncle gave me a hand, luckily he is into astronomy and a builder lol

Sent mobile

post-12770-135928901666_thumb.jpg

post-12770-135928904124_thumb.jpg

Thats a monster but also rather well proportioned Mert :smiley:

The views are going to be fabulous although I'm not sure I fancy observing from a ladder to be honest :shocked:

Let us know how you get on !

Will do John, as soon as it clears, perhaps at 3am tonight according to The Met Office, but I've lost faith in them :)

I used a pair of steps to build it, had it up and down a few times, putting the top part on is a bit scary, but I'm used to ladders, more paving stones are going down tomorrow as a base for the step ladder, unless you at zenith it's not too bad on the steps, I feel comfortable with it so far.

Damn that's big! I bet your neighbours are wondering why you have an artillery piece pointed at the moon...

I told them what it was, they are understanding. :)

that is one big scope :shocked: and the views should be stunning.

Clear skies and please don't shoot the moon down as i want to have a look at it too :D

Still to get a good session, had a quick look at M42 and Jupiter in between clouds.

Mert, that's fantastic, the views must be fabulous. The use of a ladder must be odd at first but probably worth it when you climb up there!

Thanks, getting used to the ladder, positioning it is key lol

Nice! I hope it didn't come with a six months supply of clouds

Clear skies!

Hi Michael, hopefully not, , I did have a quick look at Jupiter last night though, good new is that my uncle, who's in the pic, wants to re-kindle his passion for astronomy, I think he's going for a 5" refractor.

With a supposedly clear sky tonight and a the moon not appearing until midnight, I hope to get a chance to use the scope properly for the first time, anyone have any suggestions for good targets for it?

22"? Anything you want!

Seriously, I had a look at a few planetaries last night, and NGC 1514, NGC 650/1 or the Little Dumbbell (M76), IC 418 (Spirograph nebula), NGC 2371/2, NGC 2392 (Eskimo nebula), and many many others should be great. M42 should be awesome.

Thanks Michael. Apart from M42 I don' think I've seen any of the others, I'll fire them into the Argo Navis. Thanks

Archived