Hi people

spurius

Recently joined this site because I like astronomy. Its the incredible forces and distances at work that boggle my mind. I read somewhere that the 1st gamma ray bursts detected were for finding nuclear detonations on earth, not explosions over a billion light years away. Cant imagine the power of those things! Its also nice to point your telescope at something which according to an internet I use, would take about 2.5 million years to get there if you were travelling at the speed of light. Even longer if you stop for a burger along the way.

Then theres our ongoing exploration of our solar system. 1000mph wind speeds on neptune! Jupiter with acne the size of Earth! What really happened to Miranda? Will Pluto turn out to be as interesting as Triton, Io and other objects? Does the Curiosity rover have 4 wheel drive lol.

I also live in the UK so havent been able to observe for weeks unfortunately.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Spurious and welcome to the forum. Yes the scale of everything that goes on in the universe is truly mind boggling and is a fact that always reminds me of how unimportant we really are in the scheme of things. Don't mention the weather, it has been a little bit disappointing this year (...and the year before that :grin:) but patience is the name of the game not that ~I have much of that left! :grin: :grin:

Clear skies soon and enjoy the forum

James

Hi Spurius and welcome to SGL, space is mind boggling isn`t it, difficult to grasp and to get your had round it all, as for the word........ James has mentioned, I do not think I can recall a year as bad for our hobby, and lets look on the bright side, the pundits are forecasting another 10 years of this to come, never mind enjoy your Astronomy when you can :icon_santa:

John.

hi and welcome to SGL from another newbie, you`ll find this is a great place to learn from on those cloudy nights.

all that space and i still struggle to find somewhere to put my telescope away :laugh: , happy holidays.

Archived