Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anybody ever used one of these Planisphere things

This here: http://www.amazon.co...5239963&sr=8-13

No idea if its a gimick or a worthwhile additional tool. Still very much being a learner and not wanting to get a GOTO because of the cost, I just wondered if one of these would be any good for those nights when I am struggling and its only a few quid afterall.

I have stellarium on laptop but that wont be with me if I go out to location, (its my work one and I am not risking damaging it) Also I have printed off a few telrad maps and have S&T sky atlas, so is it worth having as the extra tool in your kit bag or just something of a gimick.

Baz

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think quite a few astronomers have them. It's certainly not a gimmick and before I had a telescope I sometimes went out with a small version of one of these.

Then again, I can't say I've used it since I have been buying Sky at Night and reading TLAO.

I find a Planisphere very handy to have around - it's a very simple and quick tool to identify what objects are going to be in a good position in the sky on a particular date & time.

I've heard folks being put off them because the traditional ones are difficult/impossible to read when they take them outside so a version that glows in the dark sounds like a good idea.

First thing i ever bought about 25yrs ago & it helped me no end then. As i became interested again enough to buy a scope I bought another one, they'r a bit tricky to read at night, even with a red light but I always find mine useful and as u say they'r only a few quid. :smiley:

I find a Planisphere very handy to have around - it's a very simple and quick tool to identify what objects are going to be in a good position in the sky on a particular date & time.

I've heard folks being put off them because the traditional ones are difficult/impossible to read when they take them outside so a version that glows in the dark sounds like a good idea.

I've a few people say that the glow in the dark ones tend to blur quite badly? :eek:

what I like is that you can see what's well placed in your armchair and mark the various pages in your star map and possibly object you want to see. then when outside you can use just the star map but not be wondering where next. I see it as a planning tool rather than an observing tool really.

I find planispheres are a handy both an indoor and outdoor reference guide and for a period owned one of these......

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/david-chandler-night-sky-planisphere.html

Believe it or not I was able to misplace it and never have found it - so I shopped around and bought one of these to try

http://www.mapstop.co.uk/product9094_Planisphere--Northern-Hemisphere---NEW-----Global-Mapping.aspxI

It is almost 1ft across and works quite well - not much to choose between the two .

The Philips "pocket version" planisphere is much too small to be of use.

They are very good, don't need power, work better with a paper clip and they do expect you to have some idea of things.

Wind the top bit round to the right time and date, then stick the paper clip on to prevent it moving while you get it facing the right way.

They will show what is basically the stars and constellations that should be on view.

They do not include on them a great many DSO's as in there are a few Messier objects but not many. On the Philips one it shows Leo but not the DSO's along the base of Leo. In Andromeda M31 is shown, M33 isn't. Haven't counted but I guess 10-12 of the main ones are there somewhere.

Consider it best for identifing constellations and where they are and what time they appear.

Pretty good things, they were around a long time before Stellarium, and I use one a lot more then any software.

I have one and it was the first star map I had and I still get it out sometimes now. Very useful for a quick reference as to what is gonna be visible and when.

Skywatcher Skyliner 200p Dobsonian

Celestron Skymaster 15x70 Binoculars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are very good, don't need power, work better with a paper clip and they do expect you to have some idea of things.

Wind the top bit round to the right time and date, then stick the paper clip on to prevent it moving while you get it facing the right way.

They will show what is basically the stars and constellations that should be on view.

They do not include on them a great many DSO's as in there are a few Messier objects but not many. On the Philips one it shows Leo but not the DSO's along the base of Leo. In Andromeda M31 is shown, M33 isn't. Haven't counted but I guess 10-12 of the main ones are there somewhere.

Consider it best for identifing constellations and where they are and what time they appear.

Pretty good things, they were around a long time before Stellarium, and I use one a lot more then any software.

Some good points there, my thoughts were a Planisphere and Telrad maps/T&S sky atlas worked together would provide a very useful combination and enable you to find anything within the power of your scope. Its just I wasn't sure how to how effective they were but given all your comments, I think I will get one for teh small price they are.

Thanks all

Baz

The planisphere is a standard piece of kit that every budding astronomer should have. They are relatively cheap, but very effective.

I know it probably says this somewhere in the forums but you cant read every single post now can you?

edit, just did a forum search for planisphere and got hundreds of hits, lol. Still, its always good to ask and get an up to date view eh :grin:

I also use mine for session planning together with S&T Pocket Sky Atlas, which I then use at the scope. As Capricorn says, I find it works better with some kind of clip to fix it once you have it dialled in to the right time and date. I bought it with a pair of binoculars when I first started out. I have a Phillips full size one but not glow in the dark.

This thread has reminded me of my first planisphere. Way way back in the early 70s there was a series of educational toys called something like "Build A Map". They were typically plastic coated cardboard maps of various parts of the world supplied with a set of removable name stickers that you had to place on the correct locations. They brought out one that was a working planishere with stickers for the major planets, plus tables on where to position the planets on the map- I remember thinking how fantastic it was. I've tried googling to see if there was any information or pictures but unfortunately drew a blank. Anyone else old enough on here to recall these "Build A Map" things?

This thread has reminded me of my first planisphere. Way way back in the early 70s there was a series of educational toys called something like "Build A Map". They were typically plastic coated cardboard maps of various parts of the world supplied with a set of removable name stickers that you had to place on the correct locations. They brought out one that was a working planishere with stickers for the major planets, plus tables on where to position the planets on the map- I remember thinking how fantastic it was. I've tried googling to see if there was any information or pictures but unfortunately drew a blank. Anyone else old enough on here to recall these "Build A Map" things?

Grey matters turning over but not getting it. But i know what you mean, there were plethoras of blue peter inspired games and similar aimed at raising the IQ's of kids, and well meaning parents going out and buying the said kids lots of games that they often didnt want and usualy finished up as dust gatherers in the loft/garage/local dump. Not saying this was one of them, I am sure many were fine and educational, just the age we were in....(rememebr the encyclopedia brittanica) :grin:

Baz

Archived