Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anybody ever used one of these Planisphere things

Like others here I use it to see what is going to be in my viewing area that evening as the first stage of deciding what to target etc.

It's just so quick and easy that it beats setting times on programmes etc. I then move onto other more detailed refernces ( TLOA and SKeye in my case) for further information and to help find things.

I think it's well worth the few pounds it cost. I have the Philips one.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baz, I notice that you are not using GOTO. To go with your Planisphere, invest in an s/h copy of Star Hopping by Robert Garfinkle, a paperback in good condition will cost you just over £5 from the States through our major internet book seller, New copies are a bit expensive, the one I purchased quite some while back, is a constant source of reference :)

John.

Wonderful things, simple and effective. The polar scope in Takahashi mounts has a planisphere as its reticle. Once you've set a bubble level to your time offset from Greenwich you just look at the planisphere reticle, set the time to the date, and it shows the place where Polaris needs to be. No mount leveling but superb polar alignment.

Olly

Baz, I notice that you are not using GOTO. To go with your Planisphere, invest in an s/h copy of Star Hopping by Robert Garfinkle, a paperback in good condition will cost you just over £5 from the States through our major internet book seller, New copies are a bit expensive, the one I purchased quite some while back, is a constant source of reference :)

John.

My second hand copy has arrived and it is in almost new condition. I have had a quick flick through and its full of some great references and illustratives. Thanks for the pointer again John

Baz :smiley:

Archived