Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

No Go-To? Try Star Hoping!

Mr Q

I use geometric shapes and other asterisms that I see. The only thing that does still catch me out sometimes is the scale of what I am looking for, I am using either too low or too higher power ep.

Thanks for the link Mr Q, interesting section on how to determine the field of an ep / finder. Have to admit I do not know the exact field of my finder at this.

Nice link, if a little long-winded. My tips would be:

* Make sure the finder is properly aligned.

* Make sure you've got a decent map.

* Make sure the map is the right way round.

* Start with a star whose identity you're absolutely sure of (by looking at the surrounding pattern of stars).

* Progress through adjacent patterns of stars to the target area.

* Get the target area right in the middle of the finder.

Maybe instead of calling it "star hopping" we should just call it "map reading", then people might not think of it as such a dark art. People of all ages and experience levels have been managing fine with it for 400 years so it can't be that hard.

Goto or Star Hoping, does it matter?

The idea is to look at things, so use which ever is the most appropriate and which ever you want.

You are doing amateur astronomy, pick the tool and the method you want, then go look.

The arguement about which, goto or star hoping, gets boring after a time, and that time occured quite a long time back.

I've always used star-hopping. I'll either work from a known star, or I'll plonk the finder pretty much where I think the target should be and then work out where I actually am. The only problem with that is when you're looking for galaxies in Virgo, line up the finder and look through the eyepiece to find one bang in the middle. Then you have to work out which one it is :)

James

I love star hopping. I have bagged 632 DSOs that way. My main reason for not using GoTo is that it was way too expensive when I got my scope 17 years ago. I use a massive right-angle, correct-image finder instead. Works a treat.

Totally agree. So long as you have good mappage, it is a real joy.

Now I am quite well practiced (c. 250 DSOs), I find it quite easy to locate where most objects are. Only rich star fields normally cause difficulty.

Hey, you guys are sharp! I was deciding as to the title of the thread and with all your cloudy skies in the U.K., "hoping" was chosen but I didn't think anyone would catch the spelling :grin:

Yes, James, a detailed map of the galaxy cluster is a must. I have seen many in the cluster but only actually ID'd a couple. Finding the Messiers in it can be a problem without blow-ups of their fields.

Another bonus of star hopping is finding other objects on the way to your target. Sometimes I have to start over when distracted by these "pop up" objects :huh:

On another forums site, Dave Mitsky posted a short course on star hopping and I was so impressed by it, I wanted to post links to each course part. If y edit time runs out, they will be posted below.

Hi Ya...........Can Iask what a Freudian Slip is please.

Mick.G. :icon_scratch:

Mick - This link explains the term:

SLIP

I assume the poster was thinking that I was aware of the many cloudy nights in the U.K. and that I used "hoped" (wishing) for "hopped" (jumping). In reality, I was thinking of both so used hoped.

I haven't seen or touched a GoTo so am blissfully ignorant! Sure, I get the idea of what it can do, but take a lot of pleasure in finding things the old fashioned way. Am I good at that yet, well no! But I'm getting better and those links certainly help, thanks a lot for posting! :shocked:

I look at it this way - it's like going fishing - with a go-to, that's like going to the fish market and picking out your fish - no big challenge here. With casual scanning of the night sky, that's like going to the lake and casting until you catch something, which is a bit more challenging. But with a deliberate search of a particular fish in the lake, you have to learn the fish's habits in regards to eating, weather migrating, etc. Once you learn these skills, you can guarantee a fish on every outing- the same results as with a go-to but you did the locating, not a computerized device. That's what gives me the most rewards in stargazing. I know, it's much harder to observe using star hopping but not that hard and once the skill is learned, it stays with you for life - no dead batteries, failed components, improper alignment, etc. etc. Bottom line - You are in control of your scope with star hopping, not the other way around :grin:

For many in light polluted skies it is indeed star 'hoping' and GOTO scopes will capture the interest of those who might otherwise be put off. But still a skill worth learning - I haven't yet. Mr Q - interesting course of Mr Hawley but by the time he is into part 2 he is going much too fast - pity.

Archived