New member -

tIreland

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congratulations of getting your scope and to help you further with finding objects and a general understanding of where everything is, can I suggest you take a look at a free planetarium program called "Stellarium", you can view the details here. It is easy to use and contains many useful features that will compliment your new scope. One that I particularly like is the advance date/time feature that allows you to project forward the appearance of the night sky which is useful to see what is coming up later on. Stellarium can also be calibrated to match your exact viewing location and thereby present you with a very realistic night view of the sky in real time. To help improve your viewing skills in the longer term, can I suggest that you also take a look at a book called, "Turn Left At Orion" which is an excellent guide to finding objects that are going to be within the capabilities of your scope. The book is arranged so as to reveal the targets as they appear per season (winter, spring etc) and supplies lots of background information on what you are looking at as well as maps and instructions on how to find them. Comprehensively written and well presented, this is a great book for those starting out and is one that has helped many of us get started and so I think it is certainly worth a look.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Archived