Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nice doubles

bish

Hello all,

I've generally overlooked double stars in my search for DSO's. I'm going to start searching out a few. Albireo is always a good one - what others would you suggest for this time of year?

Thanks

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My vote goes to Alcor Mizar. It is always on show but maybe getting lower now. There is a double in Cass that Moonshane was talking about. I think Iota Cass, next time out I am going to have a go at it. Weather is being very English at the moment .

Alan.

Iota Cassiopieae is very tight. I can't get it in a collimated 8"Newt, but sweet at x200 in the refractor.There's also Sigma Cassiopeiae, below NGC7789 (hurrah!).Some good ones in Aries;Lamda,Epsilon (1.8"). Two in Pisces; zeta and Alpha (1.8").Epsilon Lyrae is the double double the group is visual to the left of Lyra.There's Polaris, but move the mount out of alignment!

If you're up when Orion is there's the Sigma group just under the LHS star on the belt and swing over to the left for Beta in Monoceros, the finest triple.

Neat,

Nick.

You might find this of use - http://users.compaqnet.be/doublestars/

There are a number of other useful doubles not mentioned in this list of 200 above.

I also found the books 'The Cambridge Double Star Atlas' and Sissy Haas's book 'double stars for small telescopes' very helpful. Both books available from Amazon.

Mark

You might find this of use - http://users.compaqnet.be/doublestars/

There are a number of other useful doubles not mentioned in this list of 200 above.

I also found the books 'The Cambridge Double Star Atlas' and Sissy Haas's book 'double stars for small telescopes' very helpful. Both books available from Amazon.

Mark

The Cambridge atlas is very good IMO, with decent full page maps, but be aware that the separations quoted may vary with time, making some easier and some more difficult than implied in the listings.

Chris

Almach in Andromeda is better than Alberio as far as I am concerned. I like Iota Cass and if you like a challenge Delta Cygni. the double double in Lyra is neat as is Sigma Orionis later in the night / year and of course the Trapezium system. once you have a look at these you may well be hooked!

Almach in Andromeda is better than Alberio as far as I am concerned. I like Iota Cass and if you like a challenge Delta Cygni. the double double in Lyra is neat as is Sigma Orionis later in the night / year and of course the Trapezium system. once you have a look at these you may well be hooked!

I've never looked at Almach, so will certainly try it out. I may well get hooked as I had come to a bit of halt with the amount of galaxies and nebula visible under the terrible Dudley lp. Double stars are something I've rarely looked at (mainly Albireo, Epsilon Lyra and a few others) - I'm going to try some variable star observing too.

double stars like the moon and planets are pretty much unaffected so are great for those suffering LP like us.

That's the great thing. I've gone as far as I can with the DSO's , so will keep that mainly for dark site visits (unless I win the lottery and set up a 25" obsession in the graden!) . Doubles and tracking variables should keep me busy for quite a while....

I'd second Almach ... lovely looking double and nicely placed at the moment.

When out at a dark(er) site recently, I could split Alcor/Mizar with the naked eye... couldn't believe it :eek: (someone please put me out of my misery if it's an impossible feat!)

I'd second Almach ... lovely looking double and nicely placed at the moment.

When out at a dark(er) site recently, I could split Alcor/Mizar with the naked eye... couldn't believe it :eek: (someone please put me out of my misery if it's an impossible feat!)

Last time I was out I re-visited Almach and lovely it was too.

No Alcor/Mizar is easily spit with good young eyes, I can remember many years ago thinking that the ancients must have had something wrong with their eyes if they used this as a test for acuity of vision. Having aged I can quite see their point. :eek:

No Alcor/Mizar is easily spit with good young eyes, I can remember many years ago thinking that the ancients must have had something wrong with their eyes if they used this as a test for acuity of vision. Having aged I can quite see their point. :eek:

:eek: less of the young :D I guess my glasses must be good for something :cool:

Ian,

Don't forget Antares next year. My next one to nail is Sirius, I am never sure if I see this or not.

Alan.

There have been a number of threads on splitting Sirius over the past couple of years. I've tried a number of times and made up a high powered orthoscopic eyepiece with an occulting bar installed for that purpose. No joy for me yet although I believe Ian (lunator) did manage it at last years SGL star party with his 10" Orion mak-cass (I think thats the right scope ?).

The separation or brightness of the secondary star (the Pup) should not be difficult in itself but overcoming the glare from Sirius is a real challenge !

Archived